My College Course..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theironist08, Jul 12, 2008.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

Hi, I begin my college years this September and the university I , hopefully , will be studying at has a contract with Dell, offering student discounts. Apparently they don't allow the use of macs, and you must have a Windows notebook. The course i'm hopefully doing isnt even a computer related course. I know mac can now run windows, but im wondering is there anything else that a pc can do that a mac cant???:apple:

2. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Macs don't crash like windoze

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Well a PC can give you viruses, crash and give you a heart attack.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard!

definitely install Windows on it and then see what they say! mwahahaha!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't go. It's that kind of backwards thinking that's killing the youth of today.

Get a Mac. Install Windows. If they complain, boot into Windows and show them that they're all idiots.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Make sure that this is in fact true. See it in writing.

Also, if you are using a new MB or MBP with an Intel CPU, then technically, I would say that you are using a PC if you boot directly into Windows via the bootcamp partition.

Tend to agree with this.

If you show up with a Mac running Windows XP or Windows Vista, what can they say after all you are booting directly into Windows.

My guess is that their IT types don't want to support the Mac platform for some reason. It happens unfortunately.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

bring in the articles from PC magazines that determined Macintosh notebooks run windows better then PC notebooks.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OS X puts IT people out of a full-time job.

9. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

well it is my first choice course, but "backwards thinking" is exactly what it is, I checked and it is true but I am definitely going to argue this!! I dont want a Dell :( I love my MB (altho the xps looks cool) anyone know how much windows for mac is? oh **** that means il have vista!!:eek:

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You should be able to get Windows cheap through your school if they have a site license. Do they really insist on Vista? In my experience (as an IT guy), if there is anything IT hates worse than getting out of their chairs it's learning something new. At any rate, you've learned something important about your school.

11. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

My school was a Dell school too. Just means that they won't give you any help on setting up your mail.app, or if you have trouble connecting to a wireless network. You become your own IT department, I helped out other kids on campus who had trouble with their Macs.

OSX plays so well with Windows, that it's sad Windows won't do the same. And like others said, if they really make a stink about it, use Boot Camp and install windows on a partition.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This makes more sense.

And, since the Mac is relatively easy to configure, it really shouldn't be problem. Plus, if you boot into Windows XP or Vista directly, they can configure Windows side and then you will have the network settings for the Mac side. :)