My Comp Has It Out For Me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macman1993, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Alright my comp hates me idk why I've always been nice to it but it seriously has it out for me, I'll state a few of the problems and if you know a solution can you please respond.

My bluetooth only shows up sometimes other times it just says "bluetooth not available" weirder if i plug in a usb bluetooth device then unplug it quickly my built in bluetooth works again.

My computer wont sleep properly when I shut my comp screen every 30 seconds it tries to get out of sleep, the hard drive spins up the light and screen turn on if I had music playing it starts playing again. Because it keeps doing this my comp gets very very hot somtimes to hot to touch so it is cracking in several different parts currently I have about a dozen cracks in my screen 3 of which are large enough to really be a bother, 5 cracked off spots of that plastic that goes around my keyboard and 2 cracks in the main case. I blame the heating causing the plastics to expand and contract and I am going to tell apple to pay for it.

My screen saver is broken (sometimes): yeah I don't get it ether it wont start on the timer wont start on my hotcorners and wont start with my hotkey. Yes it is on i tried setting the start time to 1 min just to be sure but still nothing. Like my bluetooth this works when it feels like it.

Frequent freezing of apps: exactly what it sounds like for no reason my comp will freeze and I will have to restart it. It normally starts with one app failing then within 30 seconds the rest fail I know this isn't due to ram because in that 30 seconds I always open activity monitor and I always have about half a gig of ram left, and then that fails.

Please help

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To begin with, can you tell us which Apple model you're running? How old is it? Which CPU? How much RAM? What OS version? What apps are you usually running? Do you have iStat Pro, so you can post your temperatures? Is it possible to post pictures of the cracks? The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to help you.

3. Macman1993 thread starter macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Sorry about that I totally spaced Macbook running leopard 10.5.2 I have 1gb of ram and a 60gb hd (getting a 200gb soon) I almost always have Safari iTunes and Adium open and often have another 2 apps open.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't have it already, I'd recommend you download and install iStat Pro (it's free) to look at what your actual temperatures are.

http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7

Did you buy AppleCare, or is your MacBook out of warranty?

"...and often have another 2 apps open." Can you be more specific? Which apps you have open have a direct impact on how much demand you're placing on the system. If the "other 2 apps" are something like Address Book and TextEdit, high temps might be out of line. If they're more demanding, graphics-intensive games or multimedia apps, high temps might be normal.

When you have Activity Monitor open, try sorting by CPU, Real Memory and Virtual Memory to get an idea of which apps are taking more system resources. What does that tell you?

Can you post pictures of the cracks? I'm on an aluminum MBP, but I've never heard of a laptop getting so hot it cracked without a lot of wear and tear.

5. Macman1993 thread starter macrumors 6502

Macman1993

[​IMG]

Theres my temps and stuff and the other two apps I have open often typically are either limewire, cyberduck, microsoft word, mail or spark none should require that much ram.
    And no I can't get pics of the cracks
    Also my computer doesn't get dropped ever I take great care of it so I know that I am not the problem. The sleep stopped working right about a month ago and every crack has formed in the last 3 weeks. The cracks that are on the plastic around the keyboard are all at the edge and they keep growing.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know if your fan is operating normally, but it sure is screamin' along!

The only temp that seems high for what you're doing is your CPU, but it doesn't seem to be in a danger zone. Your enclosure base is quite normal, too, so I can't see how your system is generating enough heat to cause cracks. I'd certainly have it checked out at a Genius Bar, since they can make a more detailed evaluation with hands-on analysis.

Attached Files:

7. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hmm, well your laptop is running quite hot, but then again both your CPUs are maxed out in that shot. Still within "safe" limits though.

Two things I can suggest about the crashing.

1. Free up some space. 1.55GB of free space is not sufficient. I've always been told to leave at least 10% of the HD free.

2. Download (telling you to add more stuff to your already full HD after just telling you not to, hypocrite! :eek:) Onyx and run all the optimization and clean up tasks.

Edit:

Yeah, the bluetooth and cracking.

Seems like the bluetooth chip is dying/malfunctioning. If the laptop is under warranty you should take it in to get checked up.

A few early users of the MB had problems with the MB cracking up (not the laughing kind of cracking, oh I crack my self up! Sorry, couldn't resist). Again, the only thing to do here is to go to a Genius to get it checked out. Pics of the cracks would be nice to see.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

May I make a suggestion?

At this point I really would not worry about getting that 200gb hard disk in there... If you have heat issues now, you will most certainly have more after that.

Bigger and faster disk = more heat for your macbook.

When was the last time you reinstalled OS X. My cousin was having all sorts of problems with her 1st gen Macbook, I backed up her data, formatted and installed the OS and everything else, problem solved...Admittedly, your problem sounds far more hardware oriented than software though.

I still didn't see if you have applecare or not, maybe I missed it. If you do, this should be an issue that can be easily fixed.

BACK UP YOUR DATA then:

Take it to the genius bar, have it looked at, be sure to be polite but firm with them that you want some sort of resolution (if you have applecare they should just send it out). (I'm not saying you will, but...)Don't act like a 15 year old with no manners. I was one of those about 15 years ago, it got me nowhere :)

Try the genius bar first, then try calling apple if you don't get anywhere there.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The truth is, the 200GB, 7200rpm drive will generate less heat and consume less battery power and run faster than the 250GB, 5400rpm drive.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard96.html

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

limewire and other torrent apps might cause your computer to not go to sleep and cause other problems with 10.5.3.

You want to contact apple if you can't figure out what is taking up all your CPU cycles. You only have 1% free.

Why do you bother installing iStat if you don't know how to read it?

11. Macman1993 thread starter macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Yeah I have apple care and my appointment is set up for tomorrow. I have reinstalled the os several times and it has never solved my problems.