Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apprentice55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Macbook pro intel core duo;
My macbook is turned off, when I press the power button the light goes on and the computer starts making sounds of turning on for about half a second and than shuts off...

I tried removing the battery and putting it again, I tried to hold the power button (the light flickers at one point and eventually shuts off as well after 2 seconds), and tried turning it on with the adapter plugged in and unplugged.

Can anyone help me with this?? I'm desperate and no more warranty for me... )):

Thanks!!!

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
did you by chance happen to change your ram recently? i changed my ram in my old macbook a month or so ago and i did not have it in enough and thats exactly what it did, booted up then shut itself off, if nothing else its worth checking.

apprentice55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Thanks but your help topics didn't help..

You see it shuts off as soon as I let go of the button. I have to screen nothing, you just hear it gearing up for a tiny moment then when i let go its off, so I can't even try holding any buttons or anything...

And I didn't change my ram... Maybe I should try removing the ram and than putting it back in still??

thanks!!!!

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
yeah they may have come a little loose, although i doubt this, when i changed my ram and it was not it it would start to boot and shut off, tried that like 4 times, and the went and tried re installing the ram, it should be pushed in quite a ways

apprentice55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
damn!

opened it tried to switch between the Ram cards, still the same )));

anyone??
please...

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Macbook pro intel core duo;
My macbook is turned off, when I press the power button the light goes on and the computer starts making sounds of turning on for about half a second and than shuts off...

I tried removing the battery and putting it again, I tried to hold the power button (the light flickers at one point and eventually shuts off as well after 2 seconds), and tried turning it on with the adapter plugged in and unplugged.

Can anyone help me with this?? I'm desperate and no more warranty for me... )):

Thanks!!!

Hi

I know this is an old post, but I´m having exactly the same problem...

how did it turn out for you? what was the problem?

Thanks. Any light on the issue will be of great help!

Sueco

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Sorry to ask about it... but I have the same problem with my Macbook pro 17". No one knows what to do with it ... Yesterday I took off the hard disk and turned it on with a USB with OS Captain. It turned on perfectly and it went all the way to set up the OS ... I think it might be the old Hard drive but am not sure.
Any advice???
Thanks

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Sorry to ask about it... but I have the same problem with my Macbook pro 17". No one knows what to do with it ... Yesterday I took off the hard disk and turned it on with a USB with OS Captain. It turned on perfectly and it went all the way to set up the OS ... I think it might be the old Hard drive but am not sure.
Any advice???
Thanks

It is probably the HDD sata cable they are flaky in these models. Amazon sell them for under $20, while you are about it replace the HDD with an SSD it will transform your old machine more than you can imagine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/macbook-pr...=1&rh=i:aps,k:macbook pro mid 2012 sata cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...id=2HHEJOP4JZ51Y&rh=i:aps,k:crucial+ssd+mx300

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.