My computer crashed after update.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the vj, Jul 9, 2009.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

I have my 17" MBP besides me when it pronted me to restart after a software update. I am working in my other mac pro.

Then I see the MBP with the blue screen for a while with no sign of activity. I press the power button, goes black and that is it.

It won't want to start up again. The hard drive tries to read or something inside moves just once and that is it. Is not the hard drive broken, there is not reason and is not the sound of a broken drive, it sounds like the optical drive too.

But the thing is that there is not activity, no sound of any sort.

I disconected the batery, unpluged the machine, power up, reconect the batery and power and nothing. Is dead.

The power light is on.

It seems the software update did something to the computer. It has been on my desk for a week with Skype and messenger mostly.

Any sugestion before take it to the Apple store?

2. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

what happens when you try to boot off the original dvd? can you see the hard drive in disk Utility from the installer?

3. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing... dead. Motherboard dead. I can not even run via firewire in target disk mode.

It could be hard drive but it was working just fine until I restarted the computer and this computer is not a year old.

In my 20+ years of experience never saw something like this, computers always give some sort of glitch before or is caused by something external but I have it connected to my UPS with the rest of my equipment, no overheat, nothing unusual except the apple software update.

Probably the software update is an actual virus but that is too crazy having a virus acting as a software update, too sofisticated. And I haven't download any strange software.

4. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

it must be the power supply, motherboard or maybe something didn't fully finish doing a firmware update or something. i'd take it in to apple store.

5. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeap, this goes beyond me, apple care in action.

6. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a