my computer is sluggish!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by helsinkilegend, Jun 5, 2007.

1. helsinkilegend macrumors newbie

my computer has been acting quite sluggish lately, especially when i have illustrator open. is there a way i can allocate more ram to illustrator or what is the best way to resolve this problem? i have a relatively new mac OS X version 10.4.9 with 1.5 GB of memory and a 1.83 GHz intel core duo processor.

2. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Are you by any chance running Adobe Illustrator CS2?

3. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Same here, my computer has been very sluggish with Illustrator but since moving to CS3 it has improved things a little.

I often find that I have 8 - 10 applications running, like Photoshop, Lightroom, Google Earth, Word, Transmit, iTunes, NewsFire, Firefox, Preview, Xtorrent for example.

I know its only a basic step but quiting applications when your do really frees up the memory, if you NEED to run a lot of apps at the same time then you NEED more memory, 2GB+

Hope this helps :)

4. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

The thing is that he may be running Illustator CS2 under rosetta which can be causing this "sluggishness".

Try upgrading to CS3, since the applications on it have already been updated to run natively on Intel Macs, it can make a huge difference.

Watch out for "too much widgets" syndrome too :)

5. helsinkilegend thread starter macrumors newbie

i am using illustrator CS2 at the moment as we only bought it not too long ago.

6. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Sorry then :( Because that's exactly the problem. You're using a PowerPC application (Apple former processor arquitecture choice) and OSX (via Rosetta) is translating in real time PowerPC instructions to Intel x86 ones, hence the sluggishness.

I've tried working with Illustrator CS2 but then I decided to upgrade, it was unbearable to use it at a common workflow speed, I guess it's just one of those applications that Rosetta has a hard time translating, just like Photoshop CS2 too.

You've got a serious problem because I understand that upgrading is expensive and that not everyone has the cash for it, and second because I cannot tell you to run Illustrator under Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels because you'd have to buy the Windows version (I suppose) so... you're in a bind :eek:.

I agree.

7. nownot macrumors regular

you could always call the vendor explain what happened and see if they offer a return + a little cash for the new version. probably not but couldnt hurt to ask given the situation.