My computer just rang

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by roxics, Nov 14, 2013.

1. roxics macrumors regular

I've got my headphone on and my computer started ringing. Shortly followed by my iPhone. They both stopped at the same time.

I just had a friend call me and it didn't do it. He called me first with my Google Voice number and then my regular number. Neither made my computer ring. The one that did ring was an unknown caller from another state. So it was not facetime either. I don't have skype or anything like that installed on my machine.

So does Mavericks have some kind of ringing support for iPhones now? If so, where? Also if so, why didn't it work when my friend called me?

If not, what just happened?

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

What do you call "ringing".

Facetime, Mail, iMessage all will "ring" "beep" or be silent depending on settings.

3. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Did someone try to FaceTime your actual (non-GVoice) number?

4. dean1012 macrumors regular

Do you have Voicemac or something similar that would receive a google voice call?

If both your phone and mac rang, it is either Skype (or similar), Facetime, or Google Voice/similar.

5. Mac.User macrumors 6502

If you have the Google Voice add on for Chrome then it will make your computer ring.

6. Dokk macrumors regular

You don't even need that. I have Google Voice that goes to my iPhone and I only use Safari on my Mac. If someone calls the GV number, my computer starts ringing (assuming I have Gmail open) and them my phone a second or two later. It's just all built into Gmail now, so no extensions of plugins are necessary.