My computer shut itself down...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Oct 20, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

My Mini just spontaneously shut itself off in the middle of a web-browsing session. It didn't go to sleep from non-use, because I was actively using it.

I hit the power button and it rebooted fine, except Camino was now unable to connect to any websites. So i shut down/rebooted again and now everything seems fine.

No surges or other electrical problems, as far as I know. No other components lost power.

It's never done this before. How do I troubleshoot it? Or do you know what it might be? Cable modem glitch of some kind?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. kick52 macrumors member

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stock $499 PPC Mini from 2005. Running OS 10.3.9.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Alright, I've noticed a rash of weird power supply issues in the current Core 2 Mac mini.

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do tell. I was thinking of buying one of those. I'd be interested in any buggy-ness they are having.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A few of the Core 2 minis worked fine for about a month and then had power adapter issues. I swapped them with the Core Duo adapters and they worked just fine.

I got replacement adapters though from Apple for the Core 2 models.

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I wouldn't worry about it. Some macbooks as well any and all G5s also had 'rashes' of random shutdown syndrome. I don't think it too widespread or too limited to any single system.

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Could you have kicked the power cord? Or switched off the power bar? I used to do that all the time annoying as I'll get out.