Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
A few days ago all websites I visit such as Google and Yahoo redirect me to the Canadian sites. I get google.ca and even my fantasy baseball yahoo page goes to yahoo canada sports. What's up with this? My roommate, using a Macbook as well with the same wireless connection, isn't experiencing this. Has anyone heard of such a thing and/or a way to fix this? I live in NYC by the way.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Jeeze I don't think anybody deserves being demoted to a Canadian..:eek::p

Anyway, try clearing you cookies/cache.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
The point is... you ARE in Canada.

CANADA PURCHASES NEW YORK STATE
The Canadian Purchase of New York State (French: Achat canadien de l'état de New-York) was the acquisition by Canada of 401.92 square miles of the United States' New York state on this day, July 5th, 2008 at 1:05 a.m., EST. The cost was the equivalent of the number of Canadiens upset about Rodgers iPhone pricing (35,385 and counting). Due to this sudden and so recent change of events, all computers actively in the former state of New York will undergo a change in which their web browsers will redirect the user to Canadian sites. As there are so many users, the change will take quite some time to complete.

...Reset your cookies and clear the cache. (Safari menu > Reset Safari.)

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
It's perfectly natural. We have no chance of global domination through military might or economic prowess, so we began our takeover through the best means available to us: teh Internets!!1!

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Reseting cookies and clearing cache didn't do the trick. The horror! Get me back to the States!!

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
The point is... you ARE in Canada.

CANADA PURCHASES NEW YORK STATE
The Canadian Purchase of New York State (French: Achat canadien de l'état de New-York) was the acquisition by Canada of 401.92 square miles of the United States' New York state on this day, July 5th, 2008 at 1:05 a.m., EST. The cost was the equivalent of the number of Canadiens upset about Rodgers iPhone pricing (35,385 and counting). Due to this sudden and so recent change of events, all computers actively in the former state of New York will undergo a change in which their web browsers will redirect the user to Canadian sites. As there are so many users, the change will take quite some time to complete.

*claps hands..

Superb sir , absolutely superb .

To the OP , maybe install Firefox & try & see if the same things happen.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Reboot your Router or leave it switched off for 1 minute and plug it back in.

(remember to keep all the login info on the router in a safe place)

Edit> sorry just realized that you are on the same router with a guy who has no issue with the Canada thing.

Reboot the Macbook ?!

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I've rebooted. Installed the OS X update. Rebooted again. Cleared Safari and Firefox cookies and cache. This is absurd.

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
I don't suppose your mate, the one with whom you share a router, might have done something with your computer by way of a friendly prank?

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
ISP is Time Warner.

My roommate is completely computer illiterate. A prank is not an option.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Is your Region under International in System Preferences set to "United States?"

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,117

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
A few days ago all websites I visit such as Google and Yahoo redirect me to the Canadian sites. I get google.ca and even my fantasy baseball yahoo page goes to yahoo canada sports...

Up here in the Great White North nobody cares much about Fantasy Baseball, we're all about the Fantasy Curling. My fantasy curling co-ed all-star team has Colleen Jones, Randy Firby, Kevin Martin, and of course the incredibly hot Sandra Schmirler. You can keep your cute little white balls and dainty bats, we toss hundred-pound granite rocks around with whisk brooms! :D

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Your IP address is being seen as a Canadian.
Check here:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

The target on the map is in the middle of the Indian Ocean. What gives with this? Time Warner must be serving up some boot leg internets.

For the previous poster, I know .ca is Canada that's why I mentioned I get google.ca. I've had my Macbook for a year and a half so it's not a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.