My computer won't load after boot camp issue!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

Okay, so basically I can't even use my MBP right now and I'm not sure why.

Here's the story:
    I was installing bootcamp, partitioned 15GB towards Windows.. but then I realized I didn't have the CD for XP, so I deleted the Hard Drive icon that appeared after the partition and figured it would get rid of it (not sure if it did).

Anyway, when I finally got the XP cd (XP Professional), I went straight to "Start Installation" in Boot Camp, but when I got there, I could only see my OSX hard drive (so I guess the partition deletion worked?), but anyway, I can't format that since I need a lot of stuff from it and it was asking me to format it, so I exited the installer and it automatically restarted.

Upon restart, my MBP then goes to a gray screen, then to a black screen where an underscore just blinks at the top left corner forever (up to like 10 minutes, as long as I've waited, at least).

Anyone have this issue? I can't even see what I could have done wrong.

Thanks!

2. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Also, to add to this, when I hold Alt (Option) while it's loading, it'll bring up a choice thing to choose which HD I want to use, but the only one is Windows, there is no option to load as OSX!

Really starting to panic now, could I have lost all my data?

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

if you created a windows partition with BootCamp, there should be a number of partitions on the drive (two of them will appear in MacOSX) when you come to install windows. Don't deleted any of the partitions... instead you should of select the one called "untitled [bootcamp]", selecting any other will cause you to loose data! Likewise, repartitioning the drive outside of MacOSX will cause bad things to happen.

As a attempted rescue. Try booting with the MacOSX DVD, from there you can access Disk Utilities and see the drives mount on the desktop. Only then, will you beable to assess the damage, if any.

good luck

4. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

How do I boot with the OSX disk? I tried inserting it then turning on the MBP, but the same thing happens. I've held ALT, but Windows is still the only choice..

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I just needed to wait for it to load. Basically, it brings up the MacOSX install, then asks me where I want to install to, when I press continue to select which drive I want to install to, there are ZERO options, and I can't hit continue.

I think I need to take it in at this point, anyone know a solution before I do?

5. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

sounds silly, but have you just tried holding in 'x' (i think) to boot into osx?