my conclusion after the last few days about this new MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Geert76, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Geert76 macrumors 65816

Again, this just my point of view/conclusion after reading all the real life reviews (which I really, really enjoyed reading) of Macrumors members here the last few days;

This new retina MacBook is perfect for media consumption such as streaming 1080P MKV movies to the ATV3, streaming Spotify to the ATV3, webbrowsing (about 10 open tabs is easy for this new MacBook). Word/Excel.
    Further, this MacBook is just a candy for the eyes! haha

I do not need all those ports where all the big reviewers from tech-websites came up with during their reviews. I think I used the ports of my rMBP maybe 3 or 4 times in one year.

I really want to thank all the owners of the new MacBook who posted/shared real life reviews and experiences with this nice little puppy, so far here in this forum.

Ow, and before someone starts saying again ''you can do all the above with an iPad and a keyboard'', could be, dont know and is exactly irrelevant for me personally.

2. newellj macrumors 601

One more tentative datapoint for you. I have an oldish SIIG USB 3.0 hub. Plugged into the C to A adapter on the rMB, with two USB 3 external drives connected to the hub (media/photos; TM backup), it seems to work just fine. So, with the $79 dongle, you should be able to charge the rMB, run video out to an external display, and connect multiple USB 3 drives or other devices. I'm not feeling the port crunch that the measurbators are wailing and gnashing their teeth about. :p

3. revenent macrumors regular

Dumb question. I know it supports wireless and all of that but does it have an adapter for a RJ45 cable??

Coz for some of my servers and peripherals, i still need to occasionally do a crossover connection to configure some of those pesky stuffs.

Thanks!

4. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 65816

haha! thanks...some of your posts here at the forum make me laugh, newellj...they are great to read :) EDIT: and of course, very imformative!)

256Gb storage is perfectly fine for me, with a 2 TB Time Capsule as router and data storage. And never used external displays, have no desire of need for that.

5. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

Now go back and watch that section on the keynote. The MacBook was billed as just that sort of machine and what most people do 90+% of the time. For others there are different choices.

6. magbarn macrumors 68000

You can get apples USB 2.0 100mbit ether net adapter that's of course limited speed wise. Afaik the only official 1000mbit Ethernet adapter that apple makes requires a thunderbolt connector

7. Geert76 thread starter macrumors 65816

true! But I rather see real life usage reviews from consumers who are using this machine in real life instead of all that marketing talk from Apple's keynote or techsite reviews

8. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I agree with the "port crunch" comments. For 95% of the people this notebook is marketed for, there is none.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Get Apple's Multiport adapter (with power, USB 3 and HDMI) and then a USB 3 to Ethernet Adapter.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I fall into this category. In the last five years I've used three MBAs and in those five years I've used the USB port maybe 10 times. That's barely enough to justify, for me, an issue of usability. I already purchased the USB-C to USB port adapter which is all I need for using flash drives (rarely) and connecting my iPhone/iPad.

I also have several friends who are looking to purchase their laptop and the lack of ports did not bother them either, as most of their data movement is wireless or online (seems to be the direction of the future anyway).

11. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I've had mine two days. I think it is near perfect for me. My wife wants one also now that she has played with mine, but budget wise that'll have to wait.
    Oh, she reports Angry Birds runs great! I'm thinking "I hope so....".