Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltiwdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I unknowingly plugged my corroded I-trip into my I-phone, which now doesn't even turn on. Genius bar says the corrosion is water damage (it isn't) and won't help. They say even if it is just corrosion, that's not a hardware problem, so they won't help.
Do I have any recourse? And is there any way I can turn on the phone long enough to at least wipe it clean?
Thanks!

ltiwdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
that's right. I plugged it into my computer, I pushed the home and the sleep button

simultaneously. Doesn't work.
And shouldn't Apple cover corrosion?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ That's a very good suggestion. If that does not work I would try alcohol swabbing next.

There are a few major possibilities:

If this was just dry corrosion, I find it fairly unlikely that anything more has happened externally than that it is sitting across several pins of the dock connector, causing a short circuit. The question is whether the short circuit provided current to any part of the iPhone that should not have been receiving it.

So basically, you clean it, and if it works, you do the happy dance. If it doesn't, you've probably fried something internal as a result of the short circuit and you are probably SOL (honestly, I guess you could escalate and ask Apple for help, but I don't see any reason why they should accept responsibility. They might, though, just out of goodwill).

EDIT: Depending on the nature of the short, you probably will need to recharge it after you clean it, also. I would highly recommend you DO NOT plug anything into the dock connector again until after you've cleaned it thoroughly and let any solvent (alcohol, etc) thoroughly dry / evaporate out.

How on earth did you rust up an iTrip anyways?

ltiwdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I live in a super cold climate, and it was in my car. Best I can guess, it got ice crystals on it.
Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
simultaneously. Doesn't work.
And shouldn't Apple cover corrosion?

No Apple should not cover corrosion. Corrosion is in no way a manufacturing defect. I feel really bad for you, but Apple did not plug the iTrip into your phone.......you did. Therefore you caused the damage not Apple. Explain to me then why Apple should be responsible? Again, I feel really bad for you, but Apple is in no way responsible for the damage.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
So basically, you clean it, and if it works, you do the happy dance. If it doesn't, you've probably fried something internal as a result of the short circuit and you are probably SOL (honestly, I guess you could escalate and ask Apple for help, but I don't see any reason why they should accept responsibility. They might, though, just out of goodwill).

I thought Apple basically came down hard on 3rd party devices that damage the iPods/iPhones, aka you are SOL.

If it was corroded likely it acted as a short (inside the iTrip) across the right pins to kill the iPhone.

Likely cleaning the iPhone won't do much, since something inside the iTrip likely provided the path to kill it.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Well, I would hope that Apple and the OP could come to some agreement or understanding to get the iPhone repaired. Even if it is damage not covered by warranty (it does sound like something got fried). Out of pocket expenses should be expected.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Walk into the genius bar and start crying. You'll get it replaced...I have seen it in action.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Likely cleaning the iPhone won't do much, since something inside the iTrip likely provided the path to kill it.

Yes, I agree. Sadly, I think that's most likely. But you never know, and it's worth a try.

You should also contact Griffin, though. They're not going to replace your iPod, but they should know about this. Those things shouldn't be corroding, even if you do leave them in your car. I've lived in plenty of cold climates myself. I've left an iPod charger and dock cable in my car under the seat all winter. I actually haven't checked on it recently (now I should!) but it should not have rusted. I mean, maybe if you left it in a glass of salt water for a month, that's one thing, but....

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
No Apple should not cover corrosion. Corrosion is in no way a manufacturing defect. I feel really bad for you, but Apple did not plug the iTrip into your phone.......you did. Therefore you caused the damage not Apple. Explain to me then why Apple should be responsible? Again, I feel really bad for you, but Apple is in no way responsible for the damage.

+1. This poster has logic and reason at their disposal.

ltiwdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I'm not asking for anybody's pity, just advice. Considering apple sold me both the Itrip and the iphone, and considering they won't offer just the sort of insurance policy that could have helped me out of this jam, I think some sort of help would be nice, and I know Apple has replaced IPhones damaged under far sketchier circumstances than this one. But I don't expect it.

ltiwdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
DFU doesn't work. And I don't have any compressed air, unfortunately.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
DFU doesn't work. And I don't have any compressed air, unfortunately.
You do know what compressed air is right? You can buy them quite easily from places like Best Buy or even certain grocery stores.

Buy it and then cry to genius bar.

ltiwdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I'm trying all the solutions I can right now. And I'm replying to questions asked of me, which is supposed to be how it works. I appreciate the help, but the hostility seems unnecessary.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I'm trying all the solutions I can right now. And I'm replying to questions asked of me, which is supposed to be how it works. I appreciate the help, but the hostility seems unnecessary.

No hostility was intended. Just being honest. If the iPhone corroded that's one thing and Apple would indeed cover it, but it didn't. Something you inserted did the damage. Also, I would check the phone to see if the water sensors have tripped. There is one in the headphone jack. Shine a flashlight in there and see if it is red. That is usually how the genius tells that there is water damage. If it is red, they will not cover any damage at all. Again no hostility was intended, but these forums are full of people who damage their phone, wether it is intentional or not is irrelevant, and expect Apple to pick up the tab. Your original posts sounded the same. You wanted Apple to cover damage that you caused, and unfortunately my original opinion holds true.

1. The damage was not caused by a manufacturing defect, and therefore should not be covered under warranty.

2. Apple did not make you plug the device into your phone, and is therefore not responsible. The warranty does not cover user caused damage or third party accessory defects, it covers manufacturing defects of the iPhone.

3. You are correct Apple does not provide insurance. Everyone knows that. There are several companies that do provide iPhone insurance. USAA has a computer endorsement that covers anything that happens to the phone including user caused accidental damage. A quick google search would have brought up SquareTrade which also offers complete iPhone insurance coverage.

I understand your frustration, but it is not fiscally responsible, or good business, for Apple to replace a phone that a user has damaged intentionally or not. They would be out of business.

I read every response on this thread and haven't seen any hostility at all. It looks to me like you are not getting the answer you want and therefore take it as hostility. Most people would have flamed you, but it seems to me like the people here actually tried to let you know what was up and help you. I would be careful in the future on how you phrase your question to avoid being flamed. I will apologize for everyone if you took the advice given as hostile, but would offer you one other piece of advice. A wise person once told me: Don't ask a question that you don't want to hear the answer to. Hoping for a different answer doesn't change the facts.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Take it into the apple store tell them you plugged it in, it failed and be quiet, answer only the questions you are ask, don't offer things that aren't asked such as you theory that it was corrosion which it might or might not have been it could have been a coincidence, let them figure out why it doesn't work, thats their job. if they can't figure out what happened, then they will replace it. Something in the charging circuit could have just as likely failed, who knows.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Ya, crying at genius bar was a serious suggestion. I am not even joking, they will replace it if they feel sympathetic to your whatever excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.