My CPU B Temp is 126c is this normal? and my mac pro fan is like a jet plane!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alam, Oct 18, 2008.

1. alam macrumors regular

alam

hello everyone

i've recently bought a mac pro with this spec:-
    1x2.8 ghz quad core
    2 gigbit ram
    320 hdd
    ati 2600

my new mac pro was cool in the beginning but, these last days is acting really weird, right now i'm using my mac pro like it's a jet plane about to take off, the sound of the fan is to noisy, i mean i've checked my temperatures and fan speed and i think every thing is normal but this:-

CPU B temp is 126c or 260f :eek:
    fan speed of the exhaust and cpu fan are between 2700-2800 rpm

this only happens when i run games with high graphic or when i use video codecs ("xilisoft ipod video" convertor avi -> mp4, "submerge" for adding subtitle to movies and xilisoft dvd to ipod convertor) or a program that needs high speed, but the fan and the temp does not cool down even if close all of the application :confused:, i can only stop it when i shut down my mac pro :mad:, so every time when the noise start, i get this fear and shut down my mac pro for few seconds then i turn it on again to cool it a little bit, and some times it doesn't unless if i turn it off for more than 5 minutes :mad:

i even opened my case to look inside and touch my parts (ram, gpu, logic board, cpu) of course after i unplug the power cord :p, but what i found is that my ati gpu card was very hot when i checked the temps with my fingers i kind of burned my finger when i touch the ati card :mad:, is this is normal??

and my istate pro is telling me that cpu b is 126c but the gpu is the hottest part in the computer :mad:

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

It's normal for the CPU to heat up during those kind of conversions and graphic applications. TO make sure it isn't doing this with no load on the CPU, open Activity monitor and check for which applications are using the processor. When those stop, do the fans still continue?

3. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

first the is cpu b and i only have 1 cpu which i guess it should be cpu a
    second i've took a picture of my activity monitor to let know everything, and this picture is after the shut down i made.

i hope that my issue is cleared :D

Attached Files:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm leaning more toward a software sensor reading error. Even the Xeon will kill itself before it breaks 100° C to save itself.

5. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well thanks for explaining that my problem is not the cpu :)
    but there a solution for my problem :confused:

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I second an error with the software sensor. There's no way the system would allow the CPU to run that hot without shutting down. Try downloading the iStat Pro widget (it's free and see what kind of numbers it comes up with).

When I'm rendering video on my 8-core MP, the CPUs do get quite hot (around 82 degrees C according to iStat Pro) and the fans do go into "aircraft carrier" mode, but everything is working like a charm still.

7. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i already downloaded the istat pro, and everything was normal but the cpu b and cpu fan and exhaust fan.

cpu b 126c
    cpu fan 2700-2800 rpm
    exhaust 2700-2800 rpm

8. rontheancient macrumors regular

When I ran the hardware test on mine for the first time, I was wondering if I Rolls-Royce lost one of their jet engines.

9. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

i've just finished running the apple hardware test program with my apple disc that came with my mac pro, and the results were ok, it says that if my mac pro is having some issues then it's a software problem??

is the apple hardware test program give me a 100% correct answer or there might be a problem with my hardware that apple hardware test may not understand, i think that my mac osx have a problem maybe, because i'm using raid to make my 1st and 2nd hdd as 1 hdd and the 3rd as a backup.

can raid cuz me this problems?? :confused:

I've regret the day i bought my mac pro!!! i mean i've just paid a 2700$ and then i get this :mad:

right now I'm about taking my mac pro to apple and replace it with another new one or have my money back because a lot of people i see are having that same lousy fan noise problem.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I've experienced the noisy ati 2600 card in the past. It stays on full blast constantly and makes a lot of noise, never revving down or up, just constant full blast.

Swopping the card should solve the problem. That's what I did. But make sure the sound is coming from the ati card and not the mac pro's main fans.

Also, 126 degrees is ridiculous. I think it might be reading it wrong or something because mine never goes above 40. The mac pro is a nice and cool machine. I suggest calling Apple care or taking it to the genius bar.

11. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

that might be it, cuz now i've heard some people are saying that if i removed the red plastic cover from my ati card may solve it, and since i removed the plastic cover i haven't experience any blast until know, i'll tell you guys again if i've experienced any further problems :rolleyes:

but right know temperature of my cpu b is 52c, it has been reduced a bit but might goes up again at any time, if it happens then i'll further discus it with you gays :D

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

glad to know it stopped. Isn't the sound of silence heavenly? :D

13. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well bad news, i'm still having the same problem :mad: damn i wish if i could understand what's the problem with mac pro, because here in saudi arabia the maintenance service they don't really understand anything, i mean i'm a dentist and i can understand more than them, once my imac was having a problem and they told me it's my hdd, it needs to be replaced, then when they replace it i was still having the same problem, then when i came back to them, i told them may be it needs a new logic board, i told them that my imac needs a new logic board, our apple maintenance service needs a real professional.
    and now no 1 knows what is my problem with my mac pro, is it cpu or gpu or logic board or power supply, i hope that i can find a solution for my problem :(