My crappy crappy display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burnsey, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Well, I have decided to take my display in this Wednesday, hoping to get it replaced, mainly because of the crappy backlighting. It's a last gen 09c60 AUO display:

here's my display (it's a bit more prominent in person than in pics):

notice the left side is dimmer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

extreme viewing angles make it more obvious, notice that the left side is darker in the first pic, but this is not the case with the right side on the second (i.e. not a viewing angle issue) This is also a great time to notice the extensive backlight bleed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

am I being too picky? it bothers the heck out of me during normal use.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

No, that's a definite problem and I would seek a replacement ASAP.

3. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Usually it's difficult to see screen issues in photographs, but that one is an obvious issue.

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, I took it to a local Apple service provider, who fitted 3 more screens, all with different issues on the back light/shadowing.

Eventually after waiting for screen number 4, the service provider escalated it to Apple, who then exchanged it for a brand new one.

This one so far is perfect and the LED back lit screen is so much better than the previous non led screens.

5. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Unlucky with that one, definately a problem, would get that one repaired or replaced ASAP.

Hope you get it fixed!! :)

6. • Jaz • macrumors member

Yeah, you can tell from the first and last it's a noticeable problem. Good luck acquiring a replacement.

7. Burnsey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the re-assurance guys. She's going in tomorrow. I'll let you know how it'll turn out. My biggest worry is that under all those bright lights they won't notice anything (why I'm going to show them the pics).

8. pufftissue macrumors regular

I went through 3 of the last gen macbook pros and they all that this issue, at the lefthand side, about 1 inch wide. I will never go to best Buy again b/c they claimed it was fine.

I swore off apple but now that there are LED screens in there, I might be back. Seems like I might have a decent chance of getting a good one. It seems like the yellowing issue is less prevalent in the newest builds in the last 2 weeks, right?

9. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

When I disassembled my iMac to upgrade the hard disk, I forgot to plug in the left-hand side's backlighting inverter.

The result was that the whole screen was dimmer, and particularly the left hand side. But it wasn't obvious that a backlight was out, and the others seemed to be "compensating". It looked a lot like yours.