My Crazy iPad Story

Discussion in 'iPad' started by facetouch, Aug 13, 2011.

1. facetouch macrumors newbie

I had just graduated from high school and decided to get and an iPad 2 with some of my graduation money. I started looking around to see where I could get one the quickest. The first place I looked was on Apple’s online store. I saw that they had free shipping, but it would have taken 3-4 weeks to receive it (this was when they were back-ordered.) So instead of waiting or paying a lot to get it faster I decided to just look around. I went to Bismarck, North Dakota with my dad to look around and see if we could find one. After looking at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and pretty much everywhere we could, we had no luck. So we figured they might have some in Dickinson. We wouldn’t have thought that even North Dakota would have problems with stocking. We called the Wal-Mart there and they said they only had one more of the one I wanted (Black 64GB Wi-Fi only) so we rushed there to get it, calling every 15 minutes to make sure it wasn’t gone, only to get there and see they were completely wrong about which ones they did and didn’t have. After words we decided to have my mom in Albuquerque try to get one; with 20 Wal-Marts and a dozen Best Buys we knew she would get it.

The next day she got it right away at Best Buy. She got a Geek Squad Protection Plan and insured it at Best Buy for accidents and at USPS for $1,000. The next morning she sent it along with other things like candy, money etc. She said it would get there in 4-5 days and she sent it on a Monday. On Thursday I was looking out for a package and had yet to see anything. We were nervous right away and decided to just wait. The next day was the same thing. I figured it would’ve been funny to get it on Saturday because it was actually my birthday that day (July, 2 if you were curious.) not surprisingly it didn’t show up.

About a week later my mom gets that package back only to find it was completely wrapped in duct tape. She opened it and saw that EVERYTHING in the box as completely demolished; nothing but shards and chocolate everywhere. She immediately went to both USPS and Best Buy to see what she can do to either replace or get the insurance claim that came out to $997.3x. She took it to Best Buy to prove that it was iPad then went to get her claim from USPS. After explaining the story to somebody at USPS, that person said, “Tell your son ‘Merry Christmas.”

After all this chaos, we found out that thanks to the Albuquerque postal service, WE GOT BOTH THE REPLACEMENT FROM BEST BUY AND THE CHECK. My family got immediately excited to hear this and contemplated what to do with this money. We eventually figured we would get somebody in our family a new computer. So about a week later (August 10 to be exact) I finally got my new iPad 2 and starting showing it off to my family.

BUT after all that, I realized that while synching it, MY MOM GOT THE WRONG MODEL. She got me the 32GB and not the 64. I was upset after seeing this, but after all that I really didn’t care. So after about a few hours of setting it up and playing with it my dad comes in and asks, “If we got you the one you wanted with the insurance claim and you gave yours to your sister, would you care if you had to wait a little longer?”

So here I am now with my two new iPad 2's. My sister and I now have an iPad 2. You can call it whatever you want, but after all this patients and chaos we ended up with two iPads. I told my friends this story and they didn’t believe that all of this could happen, so I decided to share it with all of you today. If you have any story as crazy as mine I'm interested to hear it. I don't think anything could top mine, but I'm okay with being proven wrong.

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your story & congrats. :)

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I'm sorry but I just don't see the craziness on claiming USPS insurance; that's what is for and IDK the warranty of BB fully but I know it cover accidents so maybe they consider this an accident.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You really lucked out.

But after all the stunts that were pulled on you and the trouble your family had to go through, I say you deserved it. :)

5. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Troll imo.

To your story, i would take the 64 gb.

6. PaulWog Suspended

At first I was like "way to make a double insurance claim".

But then I was like "good deal".

Glad to hear that all worked out well for you :)

7. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wow, that is one crazy story. I'm just glad it worked out for you guys in the end.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That IS A Result

No way would UPS do that in the UK. When they delivered my new iMac back in July, the guy rang the bell....Dragging the box behind him (cause he couldn't be bothered to lift it I guess)

I pointed out that what he was scraping along the ground was £2100.00 worth of iMac.

He just shrugged his shoulders, mumbled something about having 2 people to carry such heavy items, and left

Thanks to the way Apple pack stuff, it was fine, but 30kilos? If he can't lift that the 20 yards from the road to my front door, then maybe he should look for another job.

UPS have a REALLY bed rep. in the UK Glad your story ended well :)

10. facetouch thread starter macrumors newbie

Well after my mom told her colleagues that story, everybody said that United States Postal Service sends thing from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and then get sent out. Some people have had similar things happen to them before even leaving Albuquerque. The next two iPads were sent directly from Santa Fe to cut out the middle man after that incident.:)

11. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

It's USPS (United States Postal Service) not UPS the OP was talking about.

Saying that I couldn't see Royal Mail in the UK doing that either.

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

[​IMG]

on a side note, after spending nearly $1000 on this expensive gift and insuring it up the yin yang, your mom shipped it by priority mail without delivery confirmation?!

[​IMG]