my crazy iTunes problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PurpleShaman, Jul 8, 2010.

1. PurpleShaman macrumors member

I previously transferred my music from my desktop to my laptop thru the "consolidate library" method. I backed it onto a hard drive and proceeded to transfer my library to my laptop. I may have done it twice, or something, but what happened was that all my songs were doubles on my iTunes. eg. there were two sweet child o mine. for every song, one of them was a false file with an (!) next to it, which showed up as file invalid, or location could not be found. so, I've essentially been working with a library thats 20 GB and 9000 songs instead of 10GB and 4500 songs, because half of them are repeats.

heres my new problem. Im planning on getting a new MPB, and I'm worried as to how i should transfer my current library (which runs on win7). if I do the "consolidate library" method again, will it have all the doubles? how can I get rid of these "false files" with the (!) next to them? also, will consolidate library work transitioning from a pc to a mac?

thanks a lot.

2. Kpeters213 macrumors newbie

I haven't really used consolidate library before so I can't really answer your question on that. What I can do is offer how I would have transferred my music.

- I would connect the computers with firewire and put the new mbp in target disk mode by holding down "t" on startup.

- Then I would locate my itunes folder by going to MachintoshHD/Users/Your_Name/Music and then finding the folder that says iTunes.

- Now open your mbp drive that is now located on your desktop computer, and go to MachintoshHD/Users/Your_Name/Music

- Drag the iTunes Folder from the desktop to the mbp

Thats worked for me. I wouldn't say its the best way to do it but I've never had problems. Maybe someone else can correct my method if there are any flaws.

Hope this helps!

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89