My cunning plan for the big switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djellison, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. djellison macrumors 68020

    Feb 2, 2007
    Pasadena CA
    I want a Mac. Badly. I am beginning to hate XP with a passion only usually reserved for rapists and mass murderers (to be fair, XP is murdering my productivity and creativity ) and having had a play with Vista (the purpose of which is to extract money from customers in return for a can of gloss varnish on XP), I am now ready to switch.....BUT..a few things are holding me back.

    1) Leopard, iLife 07 - thats what, £120ish, of updated software that a mac bought in 3 months time will include that one bought now wont. Not a huge impact, but certainly an influence. Also - I don't really fancy getting a Mac and then a few weeks later installing a new OS on it. Granted, I'm sure it'd be easy - but I'd rather have more than 20 minutes experience under my belt first.

    2) iWork 07 . I give astronomy talks in which I want the ability to take something like a 3500 x 768 pixel image and scroll it across the presentation. at the moment I can ALMOST do this in Powerpoint, but only up to about 1500 x 768 - theres a limit beyond which is just wont display. Now Keynote 3 doesn't help me here as it doesnt have animation in that sense - but with Core Animation and Keynote 4 (and some of the hints one can pull out of the keynotes that Steve has given ) I think it's safe to say that that is coming - only when that happens will I be ready to dump my PC laptop all together. I know - I know - it's such a silly little feature, but it's fundamental to the talks that I give, and alternate techniques such as large movies, multiple slides with transitions etc, just don't replicate it well enough.

    3) Santa Rosa MBP. That's what I want. A bit more speed, a bit more power, hopefully a step up on the GFX, and hopefully a slightly higher res screen (I'd like to see 1680 x 1050 on a 15" - my current laptop is a 17" with 1920 x 1200 and it's a beautiful thing to's just the OS gets in the way). The use of flash memory, LED screens, other new stuff...not too bothered by that really.

    So - here's the plan. Buy a Blackbook refurb in a couple of weeks, it'll cost me £700, I'll have iLife 06, Tiger....get to know the platform better than the hours I've spent wiping drewl off the keyboards at the Regents St store - THEN I can play the waiting game, but be learning the platform, enjoying a new machine, getting used to it all, figure out the networking with my desktop machine at home and the setup at work, get happy with all my periphs on the mac platform and so on.

    Once the next round of hardware refreshes are out, I can then Ebay the MB ( and frankly, looking at prices on Ebay right now, I can get every penny back, but even if I'm £100 down, that's £30 a month to learn the platform before spending >£1500...not bad ) and then buy the machine I really want to have, a 15" MBP. The reason I'd go for a Blackbook in 'phase 1' is that they really hold their value well on Ebay.

    Can any of you wise sages of the Mac world see anything wrong with that cunning plan? Learn the world of Mac on the cheap (comparatively) - then dump the big cash for the Mac of my dreams. Perhaps it's just chronic impatience, but I want to wait for new hardwareand the new OS before switching, but damn it...I don't want to wait anymore!!

  2. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    If you can wait a few months I think you should, as there's a chance that hardware revisions will be out soon.
  3. slicedbread macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    If you can wait, then get the santa rosa MBP's when they eventually make their way, but who knows when they will be? Should be a fair that leopard will be out by then tho.

    If you do need something now, get the refurb slowest macbook. You will probably lose less when you sell it compared to the blackbook, but thats just an educated guess.
  4. djellison thread starter macrumors 68020

    Feb 2, 2007
    Pasadena CA
    I don't think you read the whole post :)

    SB's point is an interesting one - I was guessing the 'premium' of the family ( the Blackbook ) would retain its value a little better - but it may well be that getting the cheapest one would minimise potential losses in the meantime.
  5. Scorpius macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2007
    I think your cunning plan sounds great. It's very similar to my cunning plan, too. My pc laptop is running fine right now, but it's a few years old and I'm looking to replace it by the Fall. I'd love to get a MBP now, but I can wait for Leopard and it would be an added bonus if there was a new hardware update on the MBP before the Fall, too. You can always end up waiting, but since I don't HAVE to have it right this moment and I'm willing to wait a few months to see what comes's worth the wait.

    I hope both our plans work out perfectly.
  6. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    it's a fine plan. i was thinking of getting a black refurb macbook just cuz.
  7. The Stig macrumors 6502a

    The Stig

    Nov 4, 2006
    On the track
    Even when Santa Rosa comes out you aren't going to want a 1st gen anyway. I don't know why all these people are waiting for it, and then everybody (or at least the smart people) will be waiting for the second gen. PLUS you know how long it take apple to move to a new platform when it comes out. Even after Santa Rosa comes out it will be months before apple makes anything with it, and then second gen on top of that!

    I waited for a second gen MB and I couldn't be happier that I did.

    If you really want, wait for 10.5, don't wait for Santa Rosa it will be around a year and half before you should buy one.

    The Stig
  8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603


    Jan 10, 2006
    It is awkward in that Apple never releases info about new products AppleTV and iPhone being the exception (new markets an all that).

    1) Leopard. Although there are rumblings of a launch date being announced soon I cant really see Leopard being launched any time before May. I have a hunch about early June. If you buy now yes you will have to upgrade to Leopard and pay fo it, but when a big OS release like this comes around it is always worth the money. I say buy now. Upgrade later. One way to offset the cost of Leopard would be too look at getting a refurb mac.

    2) Im not sure about Keynote Ive only dabbled with it but it does contain many animation options so Im sure you will find something to suit what you need. That being said if you already have access to Powerpoint and it works for you then I would not buy iWork 06 and wait for 07.

    3) Santa Rosa will basically be a speed bump but Apple may or may not even go with it. Who knows? For the time you will spend waiting for SantaRosa and the benefits of it I say dont wait for it.

    Regarding higher res screen. Leopard will be resolution independent and so screen size wont be too much of an issue. Although I admit i dont totally understand how it works yet so i may have misinterpreted it.

    So basically I personally would buy now. Get used to it everything then get the other machine when Leopard and iWork07 is out.

    Just my 2p.
  9. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    That's patently untrue, why should people not buy first gen SR notebooks?

    The big Intel switch is over, Apple has since then had enough sense to know what works and what don't. I'm sure they'd have learnt from their past mistakes well enough.

    If other PeeCee makers can do it, surely Apple can do it, better. Are you implying that Apple can't even hold a candle to Dull's engineering department?
  10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030


    Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    It was a good plan, but you posted it here and now there's nothing to stop a more cunning genius from buying tons of Blackbooks just to swamp the eBay market with them just as you plan to sell yours.
  11. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

    Corrosive vinyl

    Sep 22, 2006
    I think you should wait it out as long as you can because of all the new things everyone is hearing murmors about. see if you can't find an ibook G4 or G3 and get to know the OS, then go for the big guns that are going to be coming out sometime in the next few months... whenever that may be!

    theanswer... nice 400 blows icon :)
  12. neyoung macrumors member

    Jan 15, 2007
    I can tell first hand that playing the waiting game sucks. You'll most likely regret waiting in the end because everything you want never seems to be released when you want it :) If you can afford to buy a MacBook to hold you off I'd say go for it.

    As far as Santa Rosa goes I wouldn't wait for it. Buy a MBP when leopard/iLife/iWork comes out. Once Santa Rosa is announced it'll be a while before Apple announces any models using it. Then, once they announce a product, it'll be a while after that before before they start shipping them. So you could be waiting alot longer than you think.
  13. juanster macrumors 68020


    Mar 2, 2007
    that is very true, but im still waiting for SR to come out, never thought about the whole "yes it's here but you can't have it for another 6 months" like the iPhone, i just don t know if apple does this with macs as well. does anyone know the history of this when MB nad MBP were first announced? how long was it until they started shipping?

Share This Page