My Current Graphics vs New iMac's

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ryanflucas, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I'm curious about the difference in performance between:

My current iMac (Mid 2011 21" with AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB)

vs

Current iMac 21" units that have Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

I know Intel graphics have gotten better over time, but I'm still not sure if I want to go that route. I don't really game on my Mac, besides some oldies on gog.com. I do edit photos, run Windows 7 via Parallels, and do some light video editing.

I don't like that iMac's are shipping with 5400rpm drives, and that ram is not user replaceable unless I go to higher tier models. I guess I could go with the $1500 model that has dedicated graphics. I kind of feel that if I decide to go with something with Intel Iris Pro graphics, I might as well get a Mac Mini and go the user serviceable route (swap in a Samsung 500GB\1TB SSD, 16GB ram) provided the next Mac Mini ships with Iris graphics.

Are there any known benchmark sites comparing these?

----------

I do like the idea of the Mac Mini, provided the next model is still user serviceable. I'd install a SSD and 16GB ram right away. The add a 24" Dell IPS LED Display. I already have a external LG Blu-ray Burner I use instead of my current iMac's internal superdrive.

2. keigo macrumors regular

The current Mac Mini is way way over due for refresh. It may seem like it is going down the same road as the non-retina MBP.

So either you wait out Mac Mini update before making a decision.

Or go for BTO iMac 21" or look at iMac 27"

3. ryanflucas thread starter macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I'll be waiting for sure. I'm fine with what I have, but when my Apple Care runs out, I tend to sell what I have and replace it. That's going to happen this May. I just want to make sure what I get is the same or better then what I have.

The system before my current was a 24" iMac, which I loved. The 27" still feels too big to me. With a Mac Mini, I figure I can buy any size IPS display I want.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Why are you talking graphics? Based on what you say you use it for, even an older Macbook Air would do fine.

5. ryanflucas thread starter macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I'm a self employed IT consultant. While I don't do much with my system, I want it to have what it needs when random projects come up. If I'm going to spend the money, I want it to cover me when I need it. I don't know if Intel graphics are going to cut it when I'm coming from Radeon. Still looking for a decent benchmark to determine if Iris whips my current setup, is just adequate, or lags in comparison.

6. keigo macrumors regular

These are CPU intensive rather then gpu.

i7 haswelll and lot of ram and fast SSD will be what you looking for.

----------

well if you so concern about the gpu...

just google http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/new-cpus-faster-wi-fi-same-flaws-apples-2013-imac-reviewed/2/

Already telling you the Intel Iris Pro Graphics is faster then all the past year iMac

7. ryanflucas thread starter macrumors regular

ryanflucas

Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for.

8. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

A family member owns the Mid 2011 High End 21.5'' (2.7Ghz) that you mentioned. I have the Late 2013 21.5'' High End iMac (2.9Ghz, with NVidia GeForce GT 750m 1Gb GDDR5 VRAM). For Dirt 2, the 2011 iMac gets 30-35fps maxed out, my iMac (2013, 750m) gets around 70fps.