My current iMac (2010) model vs base model Macbook Pro 13" (2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tears2040, Oct 13, 2011.

1. tears2040 macrumors 6502

My current iMac is in my sig and I use it mainly for editing video footage. If there is one thing I wish it had were an eSata connection as I work with external drives at while firewire 800 is good eSata is faster.

Basically all of the footage I edit is converted, so while editing any computer can handle straight cuts, and basic transitions and coloring. Only in the end when I add effects (if any) is when you need to render and that is where time is spent writing to an external drive via firewire 800 and this uses cpu power.

My current iMac is 3.06ghz with 8gbs of ram and it replaced my old Macbook Pro (2007 model) which was like a night and day difference. My concern now is this..... I plan on buying a MacBook Pro for when I need to work/edit away from my workstation.

Outside of graphics card how does the MBP 13" 2.3ghz i5 compare to an iMac 21.5" i3 3.06ghz?

If it's comparable then I have no problems, if the MBP is a lot less powerful then I need to rethink some things. Any help us greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, in terms of CPU, the new i5 13" MBP is significantly faster than your iMac. So go for it, and bump the RAM up to 8 GB; you'll be fine.