My cursor keeps disappearing

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by richpjr, Aug 7, 2015.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Since upgrading to the latest beta I am having a problem with my cursor randomly disappearing. It is very repeatable if I start a video in iTunes with the screen maximized and the cursor disappears. Moving the mouse around does nothing, escaping out of full screen mode doesn't make it come back. If I alt-tab to another program, than it comes back.

Anyone else notice this?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Same happens on YouTube, so it must be related to the media framework or video player. Report it.

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yeah, happening to me constantly. Keep having to tab between a couple of windows till it appears again.

5. silver25u macrumors member

Add me to the list as well... I've had this problem with all the builds.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It's not a new problem; I had this issue with 10.10.

7. Oakmhcky21 macrumors member

Same with me

8. zhaoxin macrumors regular

Yes. I have filed an issue to apple bug report. For me, MPlayerX in full screen causes this problem, but VLC and QuickTime don't.

Work around: you should move your mouse first before you switch desktops, or you can use desktop switch method, like control + up arrow, or 4 finger up with touchpad.

9. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I keep getting calls/sms from my dad asking how to get his cursor back. No idea what he's doing but he has a brand new Mac Mini running Yosemite and it gets rather frustrating over time.

I've had it happen myself though, so I know what he's talking about. I've observed it in El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion. I don't recall it happening in Snow Leopard or Tiger though.

I just tell him to Command + Tab and get it back for now. It does seem to be triggered by media however. Really wish Apple or third parties could get to the bottom of this, whoever is responsible. The only software not from Apple he has installed is Office 2016, iBank, Parallels (not even open most of the time, but it does grab the mouse as intended), and Chrome.

10. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

I've had this happen randomly for years going as far back as Tiger and maybe before. I've reported it from time to time to Apple, but it seems to be a low priority bug. It's happening more with El Capitan that ever before. I think it could be a minor "security" issue since a user may accidentally click on something without knowing, but I suppose that would be rare.

Anyway, there's apparently no fix, is there?

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I actually never had this cursor loss in full-screen video mode happen until I upgraded to El Capitan (on a 2012 MBP-13" machine). Sometimes I can get the cursor back in full screen by command-tab to another app and then back to full screen video, but sometimes I can't get it back unless I exit full screen and then command-tab to some other app. I reported it to Apple but am noting it here too since previous report here was from awhile back...

12. alattehotte macrumors newbie

Same problem here! Arghh. On brand new MacBook Pro 15 with Touchbar!

13. radus macrumors 6502

It seams this is a bug in Accessibility. I turned off all Accessiblity-features regarding "mouse" esp
    System Preferences/Accessibility/Display/Cursor size