My custom built pc wont die

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WorldTravelBro, Jul 8, 2014.

1. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

I built my PC in 2008 and it just wont die. It runs photoshop and all of the software I use fast.

What do I need to do to slow this beast down so that I have an excuse to buy an iMac 27 inch for myself?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A gentle accidental nudge with your elbow off the table onto the floor might solve your terrible problem...;)

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I would recommend offing your significant other's computer and hopefully your computer will kill itself.

You could also remove the case/CPU/GPU fans.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a custom rig from 2009, but I'm in the same boat. Only since I still game on it, I don't want it to die (*_*)

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

[​IMG]

:D

Depends on what how you built it. If you have the right parts, you could turn it into a Hackintosh. ;)

Seriously, 2008 would be something relatively fast, but 6 years is a big gap for technology. You're due for a refresher either way, so depending on what you have in it, you'll have some parts that are going to be out of date that may take a full-on rebuild to get current. And if you're going to do that, then getting an iMac would be easier anyway.

So don't try to slow it down; time is doing that for you.

BL.

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

When I bought my 1st 27" I just went and bought it and told my wife once I got home and acted like I didn't think she would have cared because it was something that I really wanted. She wasn't particularly thrilled at the moment so I just said ok, then it's yours I'll use this old P.O.S and you can use my the iMac.

She didn't and she felt bad for making me feel bad about getting it. Bow she has her own and everything is fine again. It just took 5 years to get here.:cool:

7. JonathanKo macrumors newbie

Drop test! Haha!

I have the same problem, but mine is even newer. I have a 3770K and GTX 670 water-cooled rig, but the thing is HUGE and requires so much support material (saving old boxes, cables, external speakers + subwoofer, etc) that I decided to order a 27" iMac anyway. I thought that's what I needed to game, but it's way overkill and there are forum posts and YT vids of ppl running BF4 on iMacs at ultra 1440p 60fps+ when they overclock their GPU so I'm going to test it myself. Plus, gaming on a 24" 1080p screen makes me feel so old when 1440p seems to be the sweet spot now. 4K seems to expensive to do right now. I'm not sure why the industry jumped from 1080p to 4K. That's 4 times the pixels of the previous standard and not everyone was running at 1080p to begin with.

If your most intense application is Photoshop, it makes sense that your PC is working fine. Other apps, like games and working with video, will quickly show if the computer is out-of-date.