My D.I.Y Antenna Fix

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHero, Jul 3, 2010.

1. iHero macrumors member

I was thinking of ways to try and break the contact between the two antennas earlier and I had a simple and somewhat dumb idea. Sticky tape/ Sellotape, whatever you want to call it.

I cut a thin strip to make it look a bit neater and I'm 100% genuine that it works for me. A couple of times I managed to make it drop 1 bar but I don't know if that was just a normal strength fluctuation, or possible my hand making the connection to the underside of the iPhone.

I figured it's worth a shot if you're not into cases and "bumpers".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fs454 macrumors 68000

Hmm, may try this. I was thinking about it a few days ago but didn't know if the tape was thick enough to make a difference.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Anything that is non conductive should do it.

4. iHero thread starter macrumors member

Nothing to lose in trying, it takes what, less than 2 minutes?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what about the tape residue if you want to take it off?

6. Alpha4 macrumors newbie

I tried that with mine. Found that it worked somewhat (Bars wouldn't drop quite as low as without tape).

However, the intersting thing was that when I took the tape off (not neat enough for me :) ) it left a 'clean' strip, as if I had removed some dirt or oxidisation from the metal antenna.

I don't think it was dirt that was removed as all the metal antenna was the same darker shade, not just where I would hold the phone, and I haven't had it long enough to get that dirty all around.

Anyone else found the same? Perhaps the antenna will be better insulated when it's built up an oxidised, insulating 'patina'?

7. ColeHarris macrumors regular

I guess buying a clear shield like the ultra or invisible shield is more than a good idea!:apple:

8. dbell macrumors member

Nope its conductive, try electrical tape.

9. pintnight macrumors 6502

Rub it off? :confused:

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sticky residue is always a pain to rub off

11. kolax macrumors G3

My iPhone 4 arrives next week (if Orange are to be trusted on their delivery date, Tuesday). That'll be the first thing I try is the death grip. If I experience dramatic signal drop, then I'll try selotape.

I'm sure us blokes have a lot of experience in this field..

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well gee, you think you can handle rubbing off less than an inch of residue? :rolleyes:

Geezz, some people..........

13. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Do take advantage of the UK return policy if needed though. I'm feeling somewhat paranoid about Apple's apparent software fix and am believing its their way of stalling customers until they are out of the return period.

I am expecting my iPhone on Monday. If it has severe connection issues (i.e. complete loss or a significant drop) I will probably return it, just to be safe.

14. jhatz macrumors member

I bet cutting out your own invisible shield material and placing it on the side would be a good thickness and not come off and look fairly clean.

15. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Alcohol should melt it right off.

16. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

NO 100% IT WILL NOT WORK. The zagg is conductive material - putting it on the sides of the phone will do nothing to prevent the RF issues from occurring. You can take the front piece that covers the front lcd glass and cut strips to try it - you don't even need to do that because you already know the front pieces are conductive (that's why touch responses work even with the IS covering the front glass)

However, if you can get some vinyl tape - that would work.

17. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Goo gone will quickly and safely get rid of all sticky residue on almost any surface! Just fyi

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's what she said.

Thanks for the tip, OP. I have a case on and it's handling things pretty well, but I've still had a few occasions where the signal strength has dropped to unacceptable levels. I'll try the tape trick under the case and see where that gets me. :)

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's stainless steel. It won't oxidize.

20. menomano macrumors member

of course it can. have you not seen rust on stainless steel knives? :rolleyes:

21. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Clear fingernail polish will work also and be less noticeable. There is a tech product which is like an industrial grade fingernail polish that is used to touch up places on circuit boards, however, I can't remember the name of it.

It would be best because like the fingernail polish it cannot be seen and it lasts a lot longer, almost indefinitely.

A case or bumpers work better because it will also protect your glass phone.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes, lets goober up a brand new iphone with residue that can be a PITA to get off

Great idea

Geeze, some people and their ideas....

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Goober up? Well hec, do you worry about fingerprints and your oil from your face messing it up too?

Holy crap some of you act like you have a gold bar in your hands that has to be emmaculate to hold its value. It is a friggin PHONE!!!
    For god sakes it is tape residue that comes off easy. Pain in the ass? What do you do for a living if THAT is a pain in the ass?

24. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Depends on the steel. Some will rust much easier than others. Not sure what stainless is used in the iPhone.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I hate sticky residue lol