My dad bought me an iMac but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mintin8, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

The problem is, I already have a macbook pro which I use frequently and it's perfect for me. He doesn't live with me so he didn't really know that I had one.

The only thing is, I unboxed the iMac and have been using it for the past 3 weeks, but it just isn't for me. I prefer having a single laptop much more than the iMac.

What can I do? I'd be much happier just having this laptop and hopefully he could get some money back from the iMac if i get rid of it.

Could I give it back to the apple store or what? I really wouldnt mind paying a restocking fee. Or if that is not possible, where else could I sell it.

Thank you in advance.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Least hassle - return to Apple (but you may be out of your return window)
    2) Next less hassle - sell to a friend, neighbor, family member at a discount
    3) Craigslist/Ebay

3. Mintin8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Thanks, I will try return it to apple asap. I assume i need the receipt?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Receipt is always handy and speeds it up. Macs usually have 14-day return policy so 3 weeks is over that but you can always try, it depends on the reseller too (some give 30 days)

5. Mintin8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Ok thanks, It was bought from the apple store. I hope I can return it because I really don't need it.

6. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

+1 for that. Don't steal the money from your dad:)

7. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Agreed.

8. belvdr macrumors 603

Better yet, take $100 from the money you get back and do something nice with your Dad. Then give the remaining back to him. Let him know that spending time with him is more valuable than a computer.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's a very generous gift. :)

On a side note, does your Dad have an iMac? If he doesn't, it's possible he might want it, or he know someone who does.

Who knows a conversation with Dad might clear up things and a win-win solution will appear.

10. TimBroers macrumors newbie

Me dad offered to buy me a MacBook Pro. But I kindly declined, I was not letting the man pay 1700 euros for something as stupid as a laptop. Besides, buying the MBP with my own, hard earned money is so much more satisfying. And now Ive been working for over a year to get the money. That MBP better not break down on me.

On-topic: like the others are saying, tell your dad that you dont have any use for the iMac. Maybe your dad can use it, maybe he has friends that can. But dont sell the thing behind his back, even if you give him his money back ('Dad here's a thousand dollars.' 'Why?' 'I sold the iMac you bought me, it was useless to me, but thanks anyway. *-*' Kinda harsh don't you think?)

11. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

True that. It was awesome of your father to get you the iMac. Maybe tell him the iMac is more computer than you need, and your MBP is just fine for your needs, so you don't want to see him have to spend all that money. Then like the OP said, plan something you and your dad can do together, and have fun.

12. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

lol, i wish my dad did that. just went out and got me random expensive stuff. :)

13. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

This. Talk to him and ask him. If he doesn't want it then sell it and give him his money back (all of it) :rolleyes: