My dad dropped my Macbook and it's NOT working right.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shiro, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Shiro macrumors newbie

Macbook model: White; early 2008 model.

As the title says, my dad dropped my Macbook from my bed. About 3 feet to the ground. The computer was ON, in sleep mode, with the lid closed. It began working slower and slower.

This is what's happening to my computer. From the moment I reached home, my computer was really slow. It became slower and slower until it basically keeps loading (the little loading circle). Now, when I turn my computer it never get to the password screen, and you have to wait about 10 minutes in order for the computer to completely boot up. Also, and I don't know if this is normal, but the caps lock button won't light up and the keyboard and the trackpad just don't work (which, actually, could be a top case problem).

Things I have done so far:
    1) Installed the MAC OSX. Didn't work.

2) Had the computer diagnosed at Best Buy. They said it was the top case. right. So, they bought me the top case, they were SURE it was the top case. I changed the top case, didn't work. They stole my money. So, not a top case problem. Right now, my computer have the original top cae instaled, not the brand new one I got from Best Buy.

3) My best friend dropped his computer and started malfunctioning like mine, but then it changed to a folder with a ?. He took it to best buy and they came with a different diagnosis (his computer showed a folder with a ?) He changed the hard drive and his computer now works great. But I changed

As of RIGHT NOWI just bought a 320 GB HD and and installed it. It show the folder with a question mark about one minute after I power up the computer. The cap locks/KB/Track pad doesn't seem to work. I inserted my Leopard Install Disc. The loading logo appeared and after 5 minutes or so (as I am saying, I think the computer is working rather slow), a drawing of a mouse just appears at the screen. Since my KB/Trackpad doesn't seem to work, I can't even click next. I am trying to get a mouse in order to use it. Is it normal when having a new HD installed that the mac dont recognize the KB and trackpad? That sounds retarded, I know, it should work, but hey, you never know.

Tnx for the fast replies and for the flame. You all are beautiful persons. Peace!

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I think the fall also broke your spell check too.

Did you buy a new internal hard drive? ie, did you replace the current one with the new one? You don't make this clear; you just said you "bought a HD"

Gather your thoughts and try to give a better, more detailed description of what's wrong besides "it's really slow"

3. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Bring it in to the Apple Store instead of Best Buy.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

More likely than not, the hard drive has been damaged due to the shock of hitting the floor.

5. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

"Really slow" does not say much. The things that I could come up with that would make it "really slow" is that the hard drive was damaged so purchase a new one and install it, or, possibly (this is a stretch by the way), the ram became unseated (highly doubt that as there would be other issues there) so try reseating the ram. Your friend had a dead hard drive (the folder with a question mark means this). As to Best Buy, they do not know what they are talking about and are there to screw over the consumer. The top case, from what it sounds, is a purely cosmetic fix and I honestly would not trust them to do any work correctly (that's because they can't).

6. ZTuned macrumors member

Why on earth would you ever think that replacing the "top case" would fix an internal hardware problem? I can understand if they replaced it because your screen was broken, but replacing it to fix a "slow" computer?

I think you need a little more common sense. Sorry if that's harsh. Oh, and never take your computer to Best Buy... now you know why.

7. Shiro thread starter macrumors newbie

BB needs more common sense.

I edited my OP, so you guys can check out in a little more detail what happened. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

8. Shiro thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I thought but it seems the mac is still "slow" and stuck even when I changed the HD.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also take a look at Activity Monitor and sort by CPU or RAM usage and don't forget to select to SHOW ALL PROCESSES and maybe you can find the culprit there.

10. Shiro thread starter macrumors newbie

OK; how do I do that? I mean, the computer is not even booting up to the desktop.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think you need to get ahold of a USB mouse and finish the OS X install on the new drive. That is a start.

Once you get to that part, you can diagnose the track pad issues. If they continue to have issues, I would suspect the top case, but if best buy really swapped that out, then maybe something else is going on.

Either way you might as well finish the install, so you can diagnose the rest of the issue...

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

13. Shiro thread starter macrumors newbie

OK.

I haven't plugged my Mac in months and now the battery seems DEAD. WTH? LOL. This gets better. (A link as to where I can find a cheap macbook battery will be appreciated)

I installed the old HD back, which have Macosx installed. But the keyoboard/trackpad is not working. So, I will try to run the system analysis you guys tell me as soon as I have a USB KB and a mouse. I will keep you posted.