My dad managed to get water caught under his screen....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by robotmonkey, Aug 10, 2010.

1. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I don't know what my dad did but he got water under the screen of his 3GS. The phone seems to function fine and the screen works but the touch capabilities go into periods of inoperability. I already got him to take out his sim card and use a hair dryer (told him to do that a little every day) and the remainder of the time leave it about 6 inches away from a light bulb. Anybody got any suggestions to evaporate the water or is he bent?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Never use a hairdryer on small electronics to try to dry them. Power off and stick it in rice for a few days. Turning it on and leaving it by a lightbuld every so often is inane. Once you power on an electronic device that has gotten wet and has not yet been dry you've likely screwed yourself. I believe your dad can get a new one for $199 but it may not be worth it.

3. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

I effectively disproved that whole rice theory in my physics class. I washed my phone and I asked my teacher if he knew how to fix it and he made a lab out of it :p. I have forgotten the formulas to prove it unfortunately, it can be shown using a whole bunch of algebra or more eloquently (and accurately) using calculus. If it does have a positive effect it is negligible. In two of the five tests the rice covered phones did worse than the ones in open air.
    Anyways....

He's getting pretty clumsy and forgetful and he accidently knocked his phone into a sink with water in it but removed it quickly (he's a former fighter pilot so I guess he has quick reflexes cause most of the phone seems fine). Both of the water damage indicators (in the headphone jack and at the bottom-center of the dock for a 3GS right?) have no red at all and though I can't really see where it is in the dock the headphone jack is nice and white. Lucky for him. He wants to charge it powered down so the heat from charging it clears out the water. I am nervous about that, but I guess since the water damage indicators are white none of the circuitry and wiring is in danger of shorting so I guess my fear is misguided, but still...

IDK what do you guys think?