My Dad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iLoveSteveJobs1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. iLoveSteveJobs1 macrumors newbie

My dad is really old and I want him to buy a Mac Desktop. He has no idea how to use a Mac because he is running windows. Which desktop would be right for him? Also it needs to have a big screen. Thanks in advance. :apple:
    Also what convincing argument can I win him over with for him to buy a Mac.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

24'' iMac or Mac Mini with a large screen...you're call. Both are big screened computer.

Argument would be, let him try your Mac out or go to the Apple Store with him and have him play with them there

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds like an iMac or Mac Mini is right for him as you said you want a desktop and a big screen.

the iMac has a 20" screen which is enough i think or you could go 24" and the Mac Mini is just a small box so you need to buy your own keyboard, mouse and screen which you can buy from Apple or another elsewhere, but i would recommend the Apple keyboard, plus speakers if he needs them. the iMac includes all this in an all-in-one package that makes it easier to purchase and setup.

as for specs the 2.0 GHz Mac Mini and the 20" 2.66 GHz iMac stock configs would be fine but you can increase the processor speed of the iMac if you wish. a general hint you can buy memory and hard drive upgrades elsewhere for cheaper like OWC and Newegg.

just quickly as an argument just say Macs are safer and easier to use, maybe say easier for the less technologically minded, but is definitely different to Windows and has a learning curve.

4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

My mum had never really used a Mac before, when her Windows computer died I got her to get an iMac, she could use it all properly within a week or so. And like the other people said, a 24" iMac would be great, or a Mac Mini.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get him a Mini with 24" monitor or iMac and show him some videos from Apple's site so he's not totally lost when he gets it

6. Bufordt macrumors member

For years I helped my Dad with his windows unit. He would bring it down to Fl with him over Thanksgiving and I'd work on it and make sure it was right. I had a mac and he used it while here. I was always worried about him getting a virus on his computer or something and him not being able to use it. So one day a couple of years ago we got him and 20" imac. He took to it like a duck to water and has never looked back. He really likes the idea of command + to make the fonts really large.

7. Mantronix macrumors regular

I would do a mac mini with a 20-24" monitor for him. It's cheaper just in case he doesn't like macs.