My damaged iPad story, and how I got a replacement!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by toasty hoodie, May 2, 2012.

1. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

So here's what happened.

My iPad 3 (4G 32gb) was in my Otterbox and on my nightstand charging. Somehow, during the night, it got knocked off. Apparently it landed right on the charger and caused some damage.

I turned on the screen and I had obvious power and a back-light, and just lines across the screen, and there was a little bend right at the charging port.

Obviously I was devastated, more so to the point where I even left work early because I was too distracted to work. (I didn't get in trouble though)

I was shocked that that kind of damage could happen in an Otterbox. So I found out I was able to connect to iTunes and get a backup, and restored it.

I took it into the Genius Bar, obviously very upset, and even the Apple Employees saw I was in grief. When I got called up, I spoke with a great genius and he inspected the iPad, and saw what happened. He said that a connector may have come loose, and that he would give me a courtesy replacement.

What a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders...I sincerely thanked him for going above and beyond, because I know the physical damage may have been a factor for him saying no.

I was so pleased, I called up 1-800 MY APPLE and filed a compliment to corporate for the awesome job he did.

The NEW iPad is now syncing and I have had my horrible day do a complete 180 simply due to the efforts of an Apple employee. :cool::apple:

2. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

3. Rychy macrumors 6502

Glad everything worked out. I decided to get AppleCare+ just so I don't have to worry about it.

4. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Lesson learned: Don't trust worthless "otter boxes" for anything other than scratch protection.

5. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

Very upset about what? It being your own fault?

6. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Yeah, I was upset that it happened. I now am charging it out on my desk I have bad OCD and I tend to value my electronics highly

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I think breaking an iPad would make most people upset regardless of whose fault it was.

8. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

I have said it once and will say it again......AppleCare is superb in customer relations and just that alone will always keep them ahead of the game. Btw good for you:D

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

This implies that you do not have Applecare+, so I would be less than happy with Apple that you got a courtesy replacement, when I and others paid for the privilege of getting a damage replacement. Especially since Apple has supposedly ended this practice.

Nevertheless, I am happy it worked out for you.

10. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I am OCD about how my electronics are treated and totally understand your anguish. Am glad to hear that Apple took such good care of you!

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Very true. The OP never said he was upset at anyone else, or the iPad for damage.

13. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

Happy to hear this ended well and nobody flamed. It's gonna be a good day:cool::)

14. Keyfinder, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

Keyfinder macrumors newbie

Ipad with new protective cover just busted.

Hello, I am trying to find some hope. I had to save for years to buy an Ipad for use in therapy with my autistic grandchild and now I have two autistic grand boys who live with me. Last year they had bad cracks in the Ipad after being dropped and it still worked fine, but I put electric tape on the black part to keep it from cutting us. I got the Ipad repaired for Christmas. It cost me l60 dollars just to get a ne screen and I bought one of the two best covers for it to protect it, I thought from breaking again. Tonight, my grandson brought it up to me and put it on the desk right beside me and he wanted me to play temple run. I was busy checking my emails and he accidentally made it fall on the floor. I said I hope you did not tear up the IPAD. Little did I know he had put it in the charger and when I went to check on it. it has those lines going on it like you described. I had pictures and all kinds of apps to teach my grandchildren. They love the IPAD so much. I can't afford to buy one now. Those genius you are talking about...is that the apple store. I thought those covers would protect from damage. It has got me sick because of how it is needed to work with them. My four year old has been reading and learned to spell using the Ipad. I hope I can get good results as you did.
    The cover seems unharmed but the screen cracked underneath it. It seemed it feel on the side.

15. Defender2010, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Words to the not so wise,,,look after your electronics. This thread should be closed. The reason: it will turn into a thread where users who damage goods look for excuses/tactics to get Apple staff to exchange them for free- despite it being their own fault, regardless of the reason they broke it or what they need it for. Harsh, but true.

16. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Lost me at OCD. Honestly, I am as sick of the overuse of that term as I am flappy bird.

17. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Geniuses generally don't try to charge you for replacements. If it's not something stupid obvious like liquid pouring out of it, shards of glass breaking off etc they will often ignore the tales of woe about how it 'just fell a foot and it was onto carpet' and put it down as a defect and cover it if its under warranty.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie