My Data is everywhere!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Boss250, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Boss250 macrumors newbie

I have normal problem, but not sure what to do so I'm looking for some advice on a simple way to take care of it. My PC got fried after I got quicksilver G4 in a trade just to see what mac was about, so I had to make the mac my full time system, I upgraded it a little and shoved 10.5 onto it. Now I'm over Windows and don't feel like spending the money to get my PC back so I'm gonna go ahead and get a nice 1.83C2D mini but I will then have 3 places where valued data will be, my old 250gb SATA XP drive, my current 320gb ultraATA in my quicksilver, and the new 2.5in 80gb sata mini drive, how can I centralize all of my data to my mini? Another note: I probably only have 200gb of data that I actually need and I have an extra 250gb ATA. Could I use my XP drive for boot camp? Is it even possible to access and get my data off my windows drive without a PC?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All your data can be read by any Mac (since 2000). However, if the drive is formatted in NTFS, then it cannot be deleted, only copied, and you can't write to that drive. I would say your best bet is to configure the Mac Mini as you want, then copy what you want to the Mac (music, videos, apps), then get the external drive erased and format it as either FAT32 or HFS+ (for use as your new Time Machine Drive).

TEG

3. Boss250 thread starter macrumors newbie

one of the problems is no external HD though, I dont actually have one just internal both ATA and SATA so I cant hook any current mac drive to the mini and cant hook the XP drive to my current mac, so do I need some kind of external HD or a enclosure? any suggestions on good looking dual ATA enclosures?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just put your ATA drive in your current Mac, connect it to the mini with a firewire cable, then boot into target disk mode (hold "t" at startup).

For the SATA, I'd suggest looking at Newegg, OWC, or TigerDirect for an enclosure or at the very least just the power and connector adapter, which are quite cheap.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One thing to consider is to get an external enclosure that has internal interfaces to both SATA and IDE drives which gives you the fliexibility of transferring one drive, then the other- and then leaving one of either type in the case afterwards for regular use.

Here is a list of 31 enclosures that would meet that spec at newegg.com:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=Hard+Drive+Enclosure&name=SATA+&+IDE