My day with the new Macbook 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cybergypsy, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Well I spent the day with my new macbook 2.2.
    The first thing I noticed was the display, It looks like my MBP display, Kinda like LED, it is not like any other of the 4 macbooks I had, something is different, really not sure what, but it not the same.

The thing is Fast, mail is superfast and it eats memory, need to get a couple more sticks as i have 1G in it stock. I love how fast this is, pretty amazing how fast everything connects, set up is faster now, if that is even possible, connection to airport is awesome picking up 7 networks around me, the built seems better to me, keyboard feels a bit stiffer. and sides dont move if you press on them. Very quiet and has been running about 45 degrees as i surf....not hot at all......Command key has no Apple on it:(

I am impressed on the speed, it super fast at everything.....and leo is very nice.....

2. Red Sox macrumors regular

congrats. I picked one up too. hey just out of curiosity, tell me if you can find "boot camp assistant" under applications/utilities. It wasn't there on my mac, and I think it's a strange problem only with these new updated macs.

3. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

??

Nope not here either????

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats! Did Leopard come installed? How do you like it compared to the MBP. I'm looking to get one in Dec/Jan timeframe. I'm leaning to the MBP, but I'd like your opinion since you have owned both.

5. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

truth is the MBP was very nice, hated the latch and did not like the screen, this new macbook is as fast as the 2,4 that i had for daily things, and like the keyboard more on the macbook, love the less heat also.......I will stick with this now :) yep it was installed :)

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Does it have the Dashboard, Expose and media control icons on the F Keys like the new Apple keyboards as well?

7. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

yes it does :)

8. njp142 macrumors member

found this on discussions.apple.com:

Hello,

I called Apple support this morning, and they guided me to the Boot Camp package on the setup CD - just put the Install Disc 1 in, then in Finder, to to Go -> Go To Folder... and put

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages

in the dialogue box. There you should see BootCamp.pkg. Running that with all the defaults puts the Boot Camp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities/

9. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

No one can answer this question other than Apple execs and design team. You get what you pay for.. and you will always pay a premium for quality electronics when they are still relatively new.

10. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The thing is amazing, I cant get over the speed , i just ordered the 4G of ram package this macbook is crazy fast ;) goodnight guys have to put it down!!

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What spec MBP do/did you have, just trying to see if i will notice this speed you are talking about.

12. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Had a 2.4,,,,,

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

How much RAM do you have installed right now? 1 gig?

I have a Macbook on order with 2 gigs of RAM so I'm hoping it'll fly.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Skipped right over that. Thanks.

This further excites me about my macbook purchase.

16. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I also bought the 2.2 1GB MacBook yesterday.

I had planned on putting 4GB RAM in this thing, but honestly I have noticed nothing performance-wise suggesting that I need more memory. Everything loads instantly. Multi-tasking is flawless. I currently have safari, mail, addressbook, ical, itunes, ichat, quicktime, and textedit open and running since I booted the system up this morning. I don't see any method of determining how much memory is in use, but I haven't noticed any page-file usage, hitching, or slowdown.

I do plan on using iMovie and iDVD fairly often. I would assume these apps will use more RAM, but 1GB may be enough.

I am not familiar enough with the Mac OS to know how "extra" RAM affects performance. In Windows, you always want as much RAM as possible, since it uses an extensive file cache, often at the expense of swapping running programs out of RAM. I will have to do a little research.

*edit*
    Well, I found the Activity Monitor application. I currently have 20MB of physical memory free. ;) Also using 350MB of swap, which doesn't seem like much.
    I guess I should spring for at least 2GB. However, the price difference for 4GB is too small to pass up maxing this thing out.

17. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

i have realized you said instantly...are u talking about...as soon as you click the icon...it loads??? iv noticed my macbook being a bit lazy recently...takes about 4-5 seconds to open each program..i know its not a long wait...but it can get tedious..

18. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Leo is a memory hog, the stock give me nothing left 2G is 49.00 and 4 is 159.00 so getting 4.... One more thing i did notice it takes the macbook 30 seconds to go into sleep mode.

19. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Glad i could excite you :0 having all Revs of the macbook, this is the fastest and most well built by far :)

20. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

Where are you buying the extra ram?

I've ressently poured wine into my MacBook and I think I'll get a new one instead of repairing the old, but I'm curious as to what's cheaper buy the 4 gb ram from apple or somewhere else??

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is very good news to here. Purchasing on monday morning. Or in exactly 20 hours.

22. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

23. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I second Crucial
    Very clear and easy to use site
    Very good sticks
    Not had any trouble with my RAM from there *touches wood*

24. other macrumors 6502

Do the new MacBooks suffer from the CPU whine like all older models did?

25. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Normally when that happens its more often than not the end of the line. Can't wait for what's coming next.