My dead Time Capsule story

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by meeks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. meeks macrumors regular

I just had a 1TB Time Capsule die on me less than 2 weeks ago. I took it to the Apple Store and they told me it was 300 some odd days out of warranty. I mentioned I had a few Apple machines at home and had Apple Care on them and asked if it was covered under that warranty. She told me it would only be covered if it were bought on the same receipt as one of the machines. It wasn't but she also mentioned that she remembered me from the other day (I took my laptop in but that's another story). Anyways she told me to hang on a second and went into the back, when she came out she told me they would replace the machine with a brand new one but I would just lose the data from the hard drive in the dead Time Capsule. The data wasn't important and I gladly accepted and thanked her numerous times for being so kind. She could have simply told me I was SOL. I just thought I would share my story with you guys since I was pretty amazed that I got a replacement. This is one of the many reasons I will continue to buy Apple products. Maybe I'll get Apple Care with the next ones just incase my luck runs out. :D

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Applecare actually covers an AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, or Time Capsule purchased up to two years before the purchase of your Mac or anytime during the term of your Applecare.

I had an Airport Express die on me and was fed the same line at the retail store about it having to have been purchased on the same receipt as a computer. But that's no longer true.

3. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I guess she was just doing her "job". Not much of a story when that's the case. Well she was a nice and polite girl so I guess that counts for "something". :rolleyes:

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Your story is nothing special. The Apple Store Rep. actually told you wrong initially.

For future reference,

Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express are all covered under AppleCare Protection Plans if they are used with an APP-covered computer.

The only Apple accessory that has to be sold at the same time is the Apple Cinema Display.

"Under APP, Apple covers the Covered Equipment and one compatible Apple branded display if purchased at the same time and registered with a covered Mac computer. An Apple-branded mouse and keyboard are also covered under APP if included with the Covered Equipment (or purchased with a Mac mini). An AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, Apple RAM modules and MacBook Air SuperDrive are also covered under APP if used with the compatible Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you within two (2) years from the purchase of the Covered Equipment. If during the Repair Coverage Period there is a defect in the materials or workmanship of the Covered Equipment or the other covered items described above, Apple will at its option, repair or replace the affected item."

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.2.pdf

Edit: Hah. SwiftLives beat me to it.

It was never true. It's at least been in effect since 2002, as I've used it several times.

5. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for all the info guys! I thought I had a good story but you guys just wrecked it! I'm just kidding, it's good to know this incase it happens again. Thanks again.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

But what about a Time Capsule bought One year BEFORE the Mac covered by the APP ? Is it under warranty of the APP ?

7. Luke007 macrumors newbie

apple acknowledges problem

bought my tc separate from a computer, in march '08. it just died 12/12/09 (no light at all when plugged in). took it into apple store, where an apple genius initially said over 200 days out of warranty, have to purchase new one. then another genius drew his attention to a memo released by apple week of 12/7/09, stating they'll replace tc's within a certain serial # range. walked out of apple store with a new tc, no charge. be sure to draw apple representative's attention to this matter if you have a dead tc.

8. dmm219 macrumors 6502

So do you now have one of the newer TCs or a refurb original?

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

No.

An AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, Apple RAM modules and MacBook Air SuperDrive are also covered under APP if used with the compatible Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you within two (2) years from the purchase of the Covered Equipment.

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Wow, incredible nugget of information I wasn't aware of. This just makes AC all that much more valuable.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I thought when the TC's were dying, it was the power supply and the capacitors... not actually the HDD inside it... I'd want to securely erase my HDD before anyone other than I kept it (just to be safe)...