My dear PowerBook 12" is dying

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Sijmen, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

<drama>

Last night was neither dark nor stormy, but that didn't make it any less of a drama. I unplugged my PowerBook 12", and sat down on the couch and did some light work. It was hardly half an hour later when I heard that devilish sound of the fans slowing down to a halt; followed by the coming of a sudden darkness over the screen. I tried to wake it up, carefully smashing the keys, but to no avail.

Through my tears I could barely find my way to the power outlet. I frantically tried to plug it in; in which I succeeded doing after some failed attempts. I navigated to the Apple Dashboard website, and downloaded iStat Pro in the hope that it could comfort me in my fears. But no, the worst thing imaginable did happen: Battery health 19%. All is lost.

</drama>

So now the battery of my PowerBook 12" (1.5 GHz, combo) has died. I've had the machine for over three years now. The battery was replaced under warranty roughly 2 years ago, but now it's dead again.

I guess it's not worth buying a new battery. Too bad, because I liked the machine for its portability and looks.

edit: for those interested, it's at roughly 290 cycles.

2. the advisor macrumors member

Aw

RIP Little Guy.

Those machines were great, as were all the PowerPC based machines. I just got rid of my 15 inch powerbook for a new unibody.

3. molala macrumors 6502a

Whew, it's just the battery. I thought the computer itself was dying. You could still use it on your couch, unless you are horribly averse to cables.
    :)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is totally worth buying a new battery! Seriously.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

6. MBrolling macrumors member

7. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

It isn't the PB... it's JUST the battery!

I'm on my third battery... and no drama was required at any point. I would empathize if the PB died, but really... just a battery???? Eesh!

Perhaps it would be more comfort to hear that your battery didn't die... it was just taken to grandma's farm to live out its senior years running freely in the fields forever and ever..... ahhhh, that's better. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Maybe it's a great excuse to get a new laptop, that's all. I have a perfectly functional iBook G3 but the thing is slow with the newer software, but it seriously needs to retire.

But a 12" inch Powerbook is still technically new enough to get by for a few more years, but not blazing like the Macbooks and Macbook Pros.

9. the vj macrumors 6502a

Get a new batery, I have 3 12" powerbooks, they are awesome! they are so powerful. When you need an extra computer the 12" is there.

I used to have mine with final cut and a 20" monitor for 2 years and I edited all sort of things. The fact that is old it doesn't mean it doesn't work. All the Adobe applications runs just fine on it.

If you want to sell your 12" just let me know. I'll give you $100 for it :D

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

My rev. a iBook is worth that on auction sites, maybe even $150. But the G4 12" inch Powerbook can still get $250 or so. But technically, the current $999 core 2 duo Macbook is hard to beat dollar for dollar and that just kills the used Mac laptop market unless one is a collector.

The move to cooler, faster Intel chips really did a number on the price of used PowerPC technology.

That being said, my above iBook, mini Mac, and dual Power Mac are all PowerPC machines.

By the time I go Intel Mac, quad core will be standard in all Macs. :) Early to Mid-2010?

11. Sijmen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was, of course, joking around a bit with the drama.

The battery is a problem though. I currently just can't afford a new one so I'll just have to live with it. And, of course, couch working will still work. But I often used the laptop on the train and wherever I went. With the current battery life it isn't even worth the time to pack it.

edit: I think I won't be getting a new battery. It's a nice machine but it's slowly falling apart. The power connector doesn't always properly connect, the keys keep popping off, and the screen is getting bad.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So it is actually dying....

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Laptops are hard to fix, even for techies like I once was.

My 1998, Windows 98 running laptop had it's LCD cable get disconnected inside the machine just behind the screen. I have to take it apart, which is a pain, and reconnect the ribbon cable.

But after all that work, I will be booting into Windows 98, first edition, which is the highest OS that machine will take. If I put in 2nd edition, the thing whigs out and many keys don't work, but it's ok with version 1 of Windows 98 or all versions of Windows 95. It won't go on the internet. It won't take the latest e-mail programs without major issues.

There is a certain point where any computer gets too old to do anything on it outside of playing old games (flight simulator 95) and word processing (word 97) and (assuming you still have an old enough printer that will work with your laptop in case you want to print).