My decision on MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macappletex, Jun 14, 2012.

1. macappletex macrumors member

After looking at all my options I finally made a decision on my son's computer for college (architecture major). Would love to have the Retina screen but just too much money! I compared a '11 refurb at a great price vs a new '12-it was a hard decision!! Save $350 or go with latest-greatest specs? I went with the new '12 MBP 15 inch with 750 gb hard drive and 4 gig memory. I plan on upgrading to 12-16 gig memory myself. I decided since this was the last computer I'm buying him and it needs to last 4-6 years that the latest version was a smart buy. The USB 3.0 was a big factor since he needs to back up his work a regular basis and faster backups is nice. Plus the new graphics specs were a big plus as well. He used his education discount plus gets the $100 iTunes card-good deal! I found a couple of good deals on memory online but will check throughout the summer before he goes off to school. Thanks for all the great tips and help on this forum!!

2. pmkoch macrumors regular

This is the exact decision I was trying to make. I think I am going to make the same move with getting a 2012 model. I feel resell on it will be higher as well. Thanks for sharing!

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Retina MacBook Pro too expensive? But you're getting the 2012 15 inch with 750 gb which is the top model right? Same price!

Sounds like you should get the Retina MacBook Pro since you son is majoring in architecture. You will love the screen and the Retina MacBook Pro will give you higher seller value as well :D

I just don't understand why people would still get the "OLD" model when the new Retina is the same price as the old model. I don't get it at all!

Attached Files:

4. nars1l macrumors newbie

Agreed - in 5 years he'll be looking at all of the retina laptop displays all his colleagues are using and thinking "Man, I wish I had gotten the retina back in 2012"

For a futureproof laptop, don't settle for tech that has been around for a decade!

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Exactly, people just need to move on with those Ethernet port, FireWire and Disc drive. I mean you can get an external disc drive and adapter for the Ethernet and FireWire.

So, please get the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display and you will not regrad it :D

----------

Also, the speakers are much better than the provisos generation :)
    Not to mention how fast it would be with the Flash storage! I know I know, you can upgrade it yourself on the "OLD" MacBook Pro right? The new MacBook Pro with Retina Display "COMES" with SSD.

Cheers, hope this help :)

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Not a big deal. And he's getting the low end 15" MBP as he said it has 4GB of RAM and a 750GB drive.

Stop criticizing people for their choice of non-retina it's getting really annoying. There is nothing wrong with the real macbook pro (vs the fake MBP retina).

The real MBP has future in mind and you can upgrade it. You cannot upgrade your fake extremely proprietary MBP.

I just started a real vs fake war - bring it! /just kidding

7. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

8. Kafka macrumors 6502

Exactly.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

all I have to say is make sure that HD is 7200RPM...I'm pretty sure all of them are on the MBP's this year, but...

when I went into college in 2010, I bought a 15" macbook pro. Dual core i7, 8gb RAM, High Res screen, 500gb 7200RPM...fully loaded except for an SSD. After 3 screen replacements, they finally just gave me a new one. A 2011 model with the quad core, antiglare screen, basically that years equivalent to what I had bought.

But, they didn't have any in store with 7200RPM drives, all they had was one with a 750GB 5400RPM drive. I figured, ok, fair tradeoff. Larger drive but a slower speed. Man was I wrong. Those write speeds make a difference.

I'll be purchasing an SSD soon for boot (using an optibay), but figured I'd drop in a word of warning.

Also, get AppleCare. You'll be glad you did

10. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

By the time I added the ram and hd space he needs it would considerably more especially since I can't to it myself on the RMBP!! Will get a great computer maxed out for about 2 grand! We usually get 5 years out of our computers before we "feel" the need to upgrade. I bought the base model & upgraded hd to the 750 hd. No buyers remorse here! How can you go wrong either way? Compared the retina MBP in store and it was an awesome machine but college is expensive enough as it is.

11. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Problem right now is the "old" MBP @ $2199 is well equipped and easily expandable. It should be compared to the bump spec'd Retina since you have to pony up lots of cash up front knowing the upgrade path is near nil.
    I can buy the "old" for $2199, but the Retina that I would want is north of $3K. And that is to equip it for the future.

12. pmkoch macrumors regular

I am looking at the $1,359 refurb compared to the $1,699(k-12 staff discount). That is a $350 difference. I am going with the $1,699 because I don't want to spend the $350 more for the retina display.

13. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

Never put much thought into 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm. Will do a quick research on it-order has not been shipped yet.

14. mikepro macrumors 6502

Since you plan on keeping it for so long, consider Apple Care warranty. You have a year to buy, and the education price is very good, (like $239 if I recall correctly).

15. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

Already done! We always purchase AppleCare-especially since I'm in education and get a great deal on it!