My Dell screen and rMBP are confusing me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forkjulle, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Forkjulle macrumors regular

I have a Dell UltraSharp (2500 x 1500px) screen. It's lovely and is a nice safety net for the rMBP's blurry Photoshop resolution.

Well, I THINK it is.

Because I'm confused. The rMBP has a HDMI port on the side. The Dell's HDMI plug is really bulky and doesn't fit.

Is there an adapter for this? How does one make these two play nicely?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Are you sure its HDMI and not a Display Port plug? Display port looks like a fat HDMI...but they are not the same.

[​IMG]

HDMI on the left, displayport on the right.

3. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

I just took this photo. This is the cable leading out from my Dell.

[​IMG]

What plug is that?

4. Cool Story Bro macrumors newbie

DVI-D (Dual link)

5. heisenberg123, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

6. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

dvi-d

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

make sure if you get a DVI cable that you get the right one. At that resolution the $30 apple DVI cable will only give you half res. Better to get a display to mini display port.

8. terraphantm, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

9. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

10. Oofie macrumors regular

since the link you posted says that the monitor should have an hdmi input, disregard the cable coming out of the monitor (the one you pictured) and look for an input that corresponds to the hdmi from your rmbp.

You will be looking for a smaller input at the back of your monitor. Once you find it, just plug hdmi from your rmbp to the monitor and switch inputs on the monitor menu (if the monitor doesnt automatically switch to available inputs).

11. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have the rMBP yet. (It's on order.) But I played with one yesterday and got worried when I saw the ports.

Thanks for the (fast) advice.

12. Oofie macrumors regular

Gotcha! In any case, from images I found on the internets, the HDMI input on the back of your monitor should be labeled. :D

13. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

I just found. It has no cable in it, which means that I've been thinking, all along, that my bulky cable is a HDMI.

Obviously, all is on track. Does the rMBP come with a HDMI cable? Or is it something that should have come with my Dell. (I might have to dig up its box and look through the contents of it.)

14. Oofie macrumors regular

I'm not sure if it Dell provides you with one, but manufacturer's usually just include a DVI cable (like the one you pictured) and a VGA cable. My monitor (ASUS) only came with the two I mentioned. I dont think the rmbp also comes with one.

They're pretty cheap if you get them from amazon or monoprice.com.

15. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

I can confirm that the only cable the new MBP comes with is the power cord.

16. OneEyedJack macrumors member

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

This isn't entirely true. I've used my rMBP's HDMI port to drive a monitor at 2560x1440@60Hz. But it only worked in Windows. Apple's drivers seem to limit the HDMI port to 165MHz. It is an HDMI 1.4 port so it *should* allow the port to run at 340MHz. But we won't see any changes there until 2560 HDMI monitors become more common.

However, I am not sure if that particular dell is capable of receiving a 2560 signal over HDMI. So mdp -> DP is a safer bet.

OP: Buy the cable I linked you to in my earlier post.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

DVI, same one that's currently hooked up to my work MBP to my 24" external. It probably looks bulky because it's not a HDMI cable.

----------

Really doubtful that either came with an HDMI cable. you can pick up up for less than $10 online, or, if you feel like it, can pay Monster $200 for the same thing.

19. OneEyedJack macrumors member

Ah. I did not know that the OPs's Dell monitor had a DP option. Should have read the thread closer. My bad and I stand corrected.

20. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The specs for that monitor say that it has a Displayport input.

The Displayport connector should look sort of like HDMI but is a bit different:
    [​IMG]

If your Dell monitor has Displayport, I think that this connection option will provide the best resolution compatibility.

The Retina Macbook Pro supports Mini-Displayport connections on each of it's two Thunderbolt ports.

You would need a cable like this to convert from the Mini-Displayport connector to the full size Displayport connector that your Dell should have:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

22. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

Now I'm confused. Is your link the same as the one listed a few posts up (http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1...=video_cable)?

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

My god, it's not that hard.

Your dell is a 2560x1440 display. It can accept that resolution over two interfaces only: Dual-link DVI and displayport. Your rMBP can natively only output mini displayport (electrically identical to displayport) and HDMI (which for our purposes is equivalent to a single-link DVI port).

So your only option is displayport. What you want is a cable that is mini-displayport on one end, and displayport on the other end. That is what the guy posted, and it is not the same as the adapter you linked to.

Plug the small end into one of your thunerbolt ports (which also double as minidisplayports), and the other end into the monitor.

I personally own this cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It can also transmit audio in my experience, if that matters to you.

24. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

I will go with that cable. Thanks for the advice.