My desktop fades away, then comes back

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Jun 7, 2008.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

Every once in a while my desktop icons and wallpaper just fade out, leaving me with the standard empty blue field, then fade back in again about 1 second later. I'm running Tiger on a stock PPC Mini.

What causes this? Impending hardware failure of some sort? Is my Mini wearing out after just 3 years of use?

Thanks.

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Your monitor is about to turn off. I have set my display will turn off arter 10 minutes. When that mark comes my screen will fade to black.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

My monitor and computer are set to never sleep. I physically turn them off when I'm done with them.

And this is something that only started happening a couple of weeks ago, after 3 years of trouble-free performance. I didn't change any setting or anything -- it's just winking in and out by itself. And it's not just going black, it's fading through black to display an empty blue field, then fading back again to the normal view of wallpaper and icons. :confused:

4. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Could it be the screensaver you have set? Maybe that could be it?

5. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know. I'm just using one the standard Mac screensavers, and I've been using the same one for at least a year now with no issues.

I also just got a random "Improper Device Removal" error -- for no reason at all!

I think my Mini is having a mental breakdown. Do computers go senile?

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Open disk utility and see if repairing permissions does something.