My Digital Audio G4 won't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Exactly what the title says! A minor annoyance, to be sure, but a nagging one.

When I put the computer to sleep, everything is normal. When I wake it up, the power light goes solid and the fans kick in, but there's no video. If I try to put the computer back to sleep from this state (by pressing the power button), I get no response.

I did a little poking around online, and allegedly this can be caused by devices connected to a SATA USB 2.0 card (which I have). I removed the USB devices and it made no difference. Thoughts?

System specs:

2.0GHz Newertech CPU
    1.5GB OWC (?) RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    USB 2.0 SATA card (brand unknown)
    Sonnet Tempo PCI SATA Card
    1TB WD Black HDD
    128GB SSD

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I could be due to the CPU upgrade. Do you have the stock CPU? You could do a temp swap and see if that resolves the issue.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That problem is often related to the USB card, and more specifically to bus powered devices being connected to the PCI USB card when the computer is put to sleep. Even something like a USB flash stick can cause problems.

If you're not already, unmount and disconnect any such device before putting the computer to sleep.

I'll also add that(consistent with what others have reported) I have zero issues with leaving my USB scanner and printer plugged into the USB card in my Quicksilver all the time...self powered devices do not generally present a problem. I also had no trouble for a while when I was using a monitor with a built-in powered USB hub and left that plugged in all the time(I could leave pretty much anything plugged into it without any trouble).

If you're not leaving things plugged into the USB card, it might simply be a case of your system not "liking" the USB card...try removing it and see if the problem goes away.

5. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Thanks all,

Intell, I tried two different video cards--the stock one and the 9600XT--so I think I can safely rule that out.

ctmpkmlec4,

I may try that, but only as a last resort, because the computer won't be very useful to me with a weaker CPU! :p

bunnspecial,

I just realized that I forgot to try booting without the USB card entirely. Will do this and report back.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My experience may interest you…

I am having the opposite problem!

Any time I send the command to shut off my screens the Mac turns them right back on again after maybe two minutes.

It's led to the screens being on all day with screensaver and the occasional popup of the password box.

Did some experimenting tonight and this is what I found.

As long as I have a USB mouse plugged directly into the RIGHT SIDE socket of the keyboard before I shut my screens off then the screens will stay off!

It seems that something in the system is looking for a USB mouse at that location and if it does not find it it will turn the screens back on - even if I leave the Magic Mouse powered on.

I had no idea this was a problem until just recently when I started using my Bluetooth Magic Mouse. It does not matter what I do, if the system does not see a connected USB mouse in the keyboard's right USB port the screens come back on.

Very, very strange. It means that before I walk away from the Mac for an extended period of time I will have to plug the USB mouse in.

P.S., I can now no longer make my Mac actually sleep. Screens will turn off, power to USB devices will cut out, but the fans do not stop spinning and the CPU never sleeps.

I suspect this is because not that I have three video cards in the Mac there's some power issues, but IDK. I usually don't want the Mac to sleep anyway, so this is not a show stopper issue for me.

7. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

That is bizarre! I tried waking from sleep with my recently-added Apple USB mouse plugged into the right side of the keyboard and it didn't make a difference, alas :p.

Unplugging the PCI USB card DID, however, seem to solve the problem. Perhaps I should look into different cards (I've been thinking of switching to FW800 anyway).

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, I should have waited longer before I made that post. Looks like it's my new Sonnet USB/FW card as well.