My Dilemma: iMac VS Macbook but with a twist.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrXiro, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. MrXiro macrumors 68040


    Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ok my dilemma is a little different. I already own a 17-inch 1.83 Core Duo iMac but the DVD burner doesn't burn DVDs anymore... everything else is perfect on the machine...

    With it starting to break down I've been thinking maybe it's time to pick up a new more peppy computer to edit videos and muck around on photoshop with. I mean the Core Duo isn't bad but it's nowhere near as fast as the 2.4 C2D with the "Santa Rosa" chip set.

    But this leads me to my dilemma, ever since I bought the iMac I've wanted a Macbook. The thought of sweet OSX in a tiny box is awesome! But I'm not sure it's the wisest solution for video editing. I was all set to get one since the new specs sound amazing but now the talks of the screen being bad and the gpu being less than up to snuff I'm having second thoughts. I know that video and photo editing doesn't quite require a dedicated GPU to run properly and quickly so would the MB be a doable choice?

    Another twist. I'm taking a trip to London early next year and will be doing some photo editing while on the go... now I DO have a laptop... it's a 4 year old Compaq with some doable specs but the thing weighs like 10 pounds which gets quite heavy when you're carrying it around your shoulder for long periods of time. I'm sure a MB would come in handy here.

    What do all of you think would be better solution...

    Is the better solution for me to get a brand spanking new 2.4 ghz 20-inch iMac use the 10 pounder in London and sell my old iMac or get the 2.2 ghz MB and have a 3rd computer? (I've looked my Compaq can't even sell for 200 bucks on ebay these days... it's a "keeper" now)

    Before you say Macbook Pro it's a bit out of my budget range... I can only drop about $1000-1500 and the $1500 mark is VERY stretching it.

    Thanks all if you can help!

    EDIT:In case any of you were wondering this was my old laptop Compaq R3000Z
  2. Cheese macrumors 6502


    Dec 26, 2002
    In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I am facing the same type of dilema with different requirements. I don't travel much, and so I am not sure how much I actually NEED a macbook, or a new iMac for that matter. I want a new computer, but do I actually need one? Here's what I would ask myself, were I you: What is my primary reason to acquire said new comput-y thing? Savvy? How much importance you will place on the travel aspect should be given weight, but do you use your laptop while traveling, or only after you arrive? If the latter, ship the 10 pound beast ahead, and get the new desktop mac.
  3. iToaster macrumors 68000


    May 3, 2007
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    If I were you I'd go with the middle white book, so you can burn a dvd. You can just network the two together and transfer data. Besides, do you really want to use a four year old compaq? You might want to check out a refurb?
  4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040


    Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm... it's one to one :p


    So is the Macbook not a very good video editing solution? Cause my understanding is that only Motion and other 3d apps would be less suitable for the MB.

    Hmm... I guess I could always just get an external burner for my imac too. :p That'd the be the cheapest solution.
  5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020


    Mar 22, 2004
    The Great White North
    Well, just to muddy the issue, here's a vote for the external burner...
  6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2007
    A new macbook would probably be more then fine for basic light video editing, i've heard plenty of people quite happy with it for that. I think it would be a great solution. I'd say just get an external burner, but in all honesty, that compaq will not be london friendly. An extra 5 pounds and bulk will probably be bothersome, besides, the goodness of OSX on the road? :) can't beat that.

    Personally... I'd sell the compaq for the little you can grab for it, sell your imac for some more extra cash and then just buy a macbook pro 2.2 refurb to do it all at 1699 (1800 including tax) since your end of your budget is 1500, if you sell the compaq for 150, the imac for.. around 500 (or more it seems... but since it won't burn dvds, then probably 500 or so) that's an extra 650. Making your stretched budget to 2150.

    2150 - 1800 = 350 extra. Go to london, have a jolly good time, come home, save up a few extra bucks and if you want some extra screen space, chuck 150-200 at a ok decent holiday special 19 or 20 inch external.

    More space then you have now, plenty of power for everything, plus portability and all in one space :)
  7. Xeem macrumors 6502a


    Feb 2, 2005
    Actually, I vote external burner too. Your Core Duo iMac isn't as speedy as the new Santa Rosa Core 2 iMacs, but it also isn't too much slower than them. I vote that you use your Compaq and iMac until you can afford a refurb Macbook Pro.
  8. je1ani macrumors 6502

    Sep 19, 2007
    Sell ur iMac and buy an older macbook pro.. Like a 17" 2.33 i've seen them go for around $1600 cheers!
  9. iBecks macrumors 6502

    Nov 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Keep your iMac and go for a refurbished Macbook or MacBook Pro.

    Currently on the Apple store website;

    Refurbished MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Black
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    1GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera

    Your price: $1,249.00

    or if you can stretch to
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

    Your price: $1,699.00
  10. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040


    Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow thanks everyone!
    Hmm... no one else says get a new iMac huh?

    I'm currently debating another option even which is selling the iMac and using a Macbook as my desktop solution until the next iMac update. Partially I want to drop the iMac before the resale price is like 100 bucks. Ugh... but the 13.3 real estate vs 17 will be massive. Could get an external too I suppose and then wait till about this time next year to get a new iMac. My editing of video has been very sparse lately.

    Well if I buy the new iMac I would sell my old iMac on ebay... I was expecting like 400 for it tops... with the cost of the new computer rounding out at 1650 after tax. Which would leave me without a new laptop. I'm also using my Best Buy card that allows me no interest payments till Jan 2009 so no buying refurb stuff for me.

    Man the best option still seems to be buy an external burner. :p

    Gah... I over think things too much.
  11. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2007
    London, United Kingdom (UK)
    If you dont need the graphical power of the imac, then get a mid range macbook, and an external monitor, and you're sorted!

    dont think too much, both are great machines, one has portability, one has power, the MBP pretty much has both, but is the price of them put together.
  12. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040


    Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I ended up getting the Macbook... this thing is great. I even got the Macally Leather case for it. Love it! Dropped in 4GB of RAM and a 250 WD HDD.

    This is probably the best purchase I've made yet for a laptop... and most importantly I got to tinker and upgrade!

    Using the laptop now! This is fantastic... can't wait to install CS3 and Final cut to see how this thing can fly!

    Now I need an external monitor.
  13. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 10, 2006
    North Hollywood, CA
    I recommend the ACD...

    Its what I'm using now
  14. mag2001 macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
  15. TraustiB macrumors member

    Nov 27, 2007
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    I believe you made a great choice. Congrats mate!

    I got an iMac core duo (sig) and a MBP. I just ended up using the MBP 90% of the time instead of the iMac. The portability and sheer power just made me like the MBP more, plus it has the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used.

    I'm thinking of selling the iMac and getting a bigger external monitor now.
  16. Schtumple macrumors 601


    Jun 13, 2007
    I didn't know FCS supported inbuilt graphics :S
  17. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040


    Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It does so long as you don't use "Motion" and I don't plan on it. I am just using it to cut. GPU has little to no affect on 2D from what I've been reading. All of it is processing power and RAM of which I've got plenty. I'm gonna be bottlenecked from my slower HDD though now... hmm... oh well. I think this is a better purchase for now... I'm gonna save up for a 24 inch iMac maybe this time next year.
  18. zakee00 macrumors regular


    Jul 7, 2004
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I'm pretty sure you'll be able to work your magic just fine on the MacBook. Congrats :)
  19. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502


    Dec 24, 2007
    Have you noticed if the MacAlly leather case does a good job allowing heat to escape? I'd like to get something like that, but I don't want to trap too much heat against my macbook.
  20. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    Looks like you are getting paid to do the things you want to do.

    In that case, you definitely need a MacBook Pro. If you are on a budget, get a refurb one.

Share This Page