MY Dilemma, please help me decide...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bustin, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bustin macrumors newbie

Hello all!

Ok so heres my problem. I ordered and received the new Mac Book Pro today, but Im really doubting my purchase for a couple reasons and wondering if I should instead buy a Mac Pro...

1. I purchased the computer for graphic design, heavy photo editing and animation work. Im just not 100% sure that in the long run (2-5 yrs) this computer is going to be able to keep up with my work flow.

2. I thought I would need the mobility but I realized that my older Power Book G4 hasnt left the house in...years. This new computer would probably end up being "docked" up to all my stuff and never move.

3. I havent been able to find any comparison as far as speed differences between the two machines. As this would probably help my decision.

4. Lastly, I havent personally seen the glossy screen, so I cant comment on it, but Im scared to open the MBP and hate it, then have to eat a return.

Anyways, please help. I have been without a MAC for about 1.5 months and its killing me using my Intel Quad Core - Vista running machine, because it runs like crap in comparison to Mac OS X.

COMMENTS PLEASE!!! :confused:

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

If you aren't going to need to take it out of the house then I'd go with the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro will ALWAYS blow the socks off the MacBook Pro. You gain faster everything (system bus, RAM, Processor). You also gain two quad core processors and the fact that it is very expandable with multiple HD bays and loads of RAM slots.

I made the decision to go with the PowerMac G5 4 years ago and it is still serving me very well now where the laptops I've purchased in the past have only lasted about two years before I noticed issues with work flow.

I'd reccommend the Mac Pro in your situation. Keep the G4 to read e-mail and surf the web on the go. Good luck on making your decision.

3. bustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

As for what you said, Im beginning to feel this way more and more...

:cool:

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'd go with a Mac Pro at home any day. If you need a portable Mac, you can always pick up something used on eBay. The Mac Pro will last years. Especially with the fact that you can upgrade the RAM and hard drives as you need them. And I think the Video Card manufacture's are starting to get a clue when it comes to releasing Video Cards for the Mac Pro too.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I bought my single 1.8 Ghz PowerMac G5 used last year, it's running Leopard great.

Definitely go for the Mac Pro it will last you a lot longer in terms of becoming obsolete.

As others have said, for portability old used Apple laptops can be found really cheaply these days for simple things like email, net etc. Your G4 will be perfect for that.

The laptop you odored will run your apps well today, but in a few years when you need a new video card you'll be boxed in.