My Dilemma with flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jollygoodamy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jollygoodamy macrumors regular

So I've been thinking of switching from Windows to a Mac but my question is if flash is a problem with the new MBPs fans? I've heard they get pretty loud when using flash because I'm on youtube quite a lot and i use flash games ever so often. :confused:

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

because flash is processor intensive and causes the CPU to heat up...this is OS independent..

3. Heavertron macrumors regular

Actually, I believe there is no / lousy GPU hardware acceleration support in the current version of flash for Mac OS X, hence Flash uses pure CPU to render. This is why CPU fans kick up in Mac OS X

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

My MBP is silent when using anything that involves flash? :confused:

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My fans spin up about as much as my wifes windows 7 box..

6. Heavertron macrumors regular

I think the point is CPU utilization is higher than it should be due to lack of GPU hardware acceleration support.

Fans might kick up more on an older machine than a new one, for example. The principle is the same.

7. JasonHB macrumors regular

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and I don't have any issues.

I use a plug-in which prevents Flash from running automatically and requires a click to make it run. However, when I am on YouTube, I never have to use it as all the content I have seen is MP5 anyway.

Jason

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

of course the latest two major releases of flash have had gpu acceleration but hey. not to mention there are nice things like clicktoplugin.

9. Heavertron macrumors regular

I believe HW acceleration is only supported on Nvidia gpus. Flash for Mac OS X is less optimized than the Windows version. Probably to punish Steve for droning on about HTML5 :rolleyes: