my disc drive in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trippr, Feb 18, 2009.

1. trippr macrumors member

trippr

Hey all,

Im trying to load a music cd into the disc drive of my MBP that have had from for about 18 month.

Each time it tries to read it but spits it back out, this is not the only cd is is doing it with. If i keep trying it works after awhile..

Is this a sign of my drive killing over? Should this be the case on such a young MBP?

Cheers in advance for all your advice.

Rob

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What happens with a DVD movie or blank CD-R? Have you tried more than one music CD?

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If the problem persists, give Apple a call. Do some disc formats work better than others, or are all discs having problems?

4. thelongmorrow macrumors member

Same Problem

I have an early MBP and I was having this same problem. At first it was linked to a firmware update from apple that killed my drive. I went to the Apple store (about a year ago) and even tho it was out of warranty by 3 or 4 months they still covered it because it was a known problem.

But now as of lately I am having the same issue again. Spits out every disc I try to put in. And it just might take it after 10 or so trys. Point is, take it to the apple store, I had no problems even out of warranty for my first problem.

As for this drive, I'm gonna leave it as im waiting out for the new Mac Pros.:D:D

5. CarolinaMacGuy macrumors newbie

Sounds like Optical Drive failure,

I am having the same issue currently.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a place for me to buy a new optical drive (15" MBP, 2.4GHZ, Late 2007) and possibly a technician that can do an installation.

6. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I just had the optical drive replaced in my late 2007 MBP for the exact same issue - discs were just spitting out as soon as installed. I have AppleCare so the repair was taken care of free of charge - it actually took them a bit to figure it out. They replaced the drive but the problem persisted so they replaced the logic board - problem persisted. So they ordered another optical drive and that one worked. Hopefully they can figure your issue out a little sooner. Good luck!

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

This is the best place to buy one. I don't think its necessary to get a technician though, unless you are crunched on time. Since you are dealing with an Apple computer, there are so many videos and instructions out their for replacing every part of your computer. Apple has a pretty small product line but is selling much more of each product than any other brand.

You should be able to replace an optical drive without any hardware experience just by following some simple online instructions. Also, you would save a lot of money.

8. trippr thread starter macrumors member

trippr

i am in the UK and we only have a istore in my town.

So this could be a software issue? Shall i call apple first and ask for advice before i go and spend £125 on a new drive.

Im looking to buy from here http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=8022_8023_8028_8194_8196&sort=1a&page=3

having trouble finding places in the UK that sell them..

I use my drive a hell of alot to burn dvds and cds.

I have tried blank discs and it spits them out, dvds play fine tho.