"My discussions" button for forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Stingray454, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

On many other similar forums (phpBB I believe this is?), there is a neat button that I'm missing on MacRumors - something like "My Discussions". It's basically like the "New Posts" button, but only lists the threads where you have written something. This is a great way to keep track of all the topics you're actively writing in without needing to subscribe to them all.

I know this is possible by going to advanced search and entering your user name and listing posts by descending order / last post date, but a "quick link" for this would be awesome :)

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What is the problem with automatically subscribing to any thread you post in (this can happen automatically by setting user preferences) and looking at all your threads in the user control panel? :confused:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Click on User CP in the upper left, just under the MacRumors: forums logo.
    2. Click on Edit Options
    3. Under Messaging & Notification:
    If you've selected to subscribe to threads you reply to, you can check them by clicking on User CP.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

5. Stingray454 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I know about subscriptions and bookmarking a search link. Personally, there are a few threads I'd like to keep a close watch on that I subscribe to, I don't want to add EVERY thread I write in to my subscriptions since I lose the important ones in the large list of threads.

I use the latter method on some forums, but this is cluttering my quicklink-bar the more forums I add. I just thought that adding a link at the top would save people some bookmarks or messing with the subscriptions.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

That works great! Thanks BV and Mitthrawnuruodo!

But really, why can't that button just be built in? It'd be a very useful button for the people who use this site the most and prevent the topic from coming up again. I've asked for something like this before and I know many others have, too.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also select to subscribe on a post-by-post basis. You can have subscriptions turned off by default and then elect to subscribe to individual threads as you reply to them.

8. Stingray454 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm aware of this too :) The issue isn't that it can't be done - there are lots of way to list the posts you contributed to, using either specific bookmarks, subscriptions, advanced search and whatnot.

I'm just pointing out that it would be nice with a one-button-click that handles this for you, eliminating a few clicks or settings. Just a suggestions to the forum admins ;). I know other forums that have added this, and it's a very nice and simple addition to the site.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MacRumors has patched vBulletin now and then but generally avoids patches due to the risk of introducing bugs and the difficulty it adds to maintenance.

According to what I've read, the My Discussions link that some forums add goes to the same URL that Blue Velvet posted above. If you bookmark that URL and put it on your bookmarks bar you'll have exactly the same one-click feature.

It's covered in this section of the FAQ:

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Doctor Q,

Now that the new mobile version of MR has been released, is there a way to add the one click feature to the mobile site, since it wouldn't be a patch to vBulletin?

The new Mobile MR is great but we'll still have to go back to the full version to access our posts in the manner described above... unless there's a way to bookmark that search for the mobile site. Possible?

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Unfortunately not. It's not a customizable product and we may end up replacing it at some point.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Unfortunate indeed, but thanks for the reply. :)

13. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The Find My Own Post method of using the site has become my favorite way to keep up to date on MR, but Using this method just changed for me. Earlier this morning, it sorted posts in the order that I had posted them. Now it's suddenly sorting in the order of the last post in the thread. What has changed, me or the site? I don't necessarily mind it, but it would be convenient to have both options.

14. chrberni Administrator

Find your own posts - slight change

You're correct. Doing some work on the advanced search so that sort by last post date sorts correctly. You can just change the sort option to thread start date and you should see them in they're old order.

Thanks,
    chris

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks!