My disk space is slowly dissappearing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonReid, May 6, 2007.

1. JasonReid macrumors member

My disk space has been slowly diminishing, at about 1 mb every few seconds. Nothing is running that would be using the space like that, and I'm not downloading anything. Last night before I went to bed I had about 5 gb on my disk and now this morning is is down to zero. Any ideas?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't know. I have had this problem as well, mine was disapearing at about 50MB a second, then i restarted the computer and it went to about 25MB a second. I went from 35GB to about 5 and then like 3 days later it just all came back.

3. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

At the risk of being obvious, have you run disk utility or/ and reset your permissions lately?

4. JasonReid thread starter macrumors member

I just repaired permissions using disk utility, but still my disk space is disappearing.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

6. JasonReid thread starter macrumors member

yep

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

hmmm, well if your still on the comptuer im guessing everything is still there, i dont know what else to say but just wait for it to come back. Maybe try restarting your computer? Sorry, goodluck

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Try installing a program like Grand Perspective (http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net) and have it scan your whole hard drive. If it's a single file that's growing (like a cache file), you'll be able to tell right away and isolate the problem. I had a cache file that, after a few weeks, would grow to over 20+ GB in size. Not nearly as bad as yours, though.