Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBradley500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
i have verizon dsl and live out about as far as you can and still get dsl.

the problem im having has just been since i got my new imac. it will start downloading around 85-90 kb then just slows and slows consistently and gets around 10 kb. sometimes if i stop then resume the download it will start back up at the faster speed but then slows again. sometimes if i stop it, it cant resume for some reason.

is this my isp problem or is it something with my computer or settings?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Probably your ISP/Connection/Plan. To get a rough idea of your connection's speed, go to http://www.speedtest.net and select the closest area and then post back your results here. It will give us a rough idea at what your speed should be and how you should proceed to fix your problem.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The high speed at first and then ratcheting down is a function of TCP/IP. It works to get the best rate possible. Assuming you are wired, or have a very good wireless signal, I'd call your ISP.

When running that speedtest, I'd go hardwired to be sure wireless isn't causing any issues. Also, what is the advertised speed of your link?

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
The high speed at first and then ratcheting down is a function of TCP/IP. It works to get the best rate possible. Assuming you are wired, or have a very good wireless signal, I'd call your ISP.

Not exactly -- TCP works to achieve the highest speed possible without dropping packets but operates at a very fine granularity, so you should never see any impact that's a result of TCP operation. ISPs, however, do often give you faster initial speeds for a bit, then slow down to your actual speeds. This is great for marketing, as they can advertise the fake speed as the "omg high speeds", when typically the line is only actually 50% of that or so (see Comcast PowerBoost).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Not exactly -- TCP works to achieve the highest speed possible without dropping packets but operates at a very fine granularity, so you should never see any impact that's a result of TCP operation.

Right and when the high speeds initially start out, if there are errors or if the line cannot support that continuous rate, TCP will crank down the speeds until it can get an optimal rate. If bandwidth is freed up, then TCP will increase the transmission rate to find that optimal spot again. This was seen on dialup modems all the time, where the download started out at say 50 KB/sec and then crank down to get around 5-7 KB/sec. This may or may not have anything to do with the ISP and their marketing schemes.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What's the data plan you are paying for? Is it a 768k/128k line by chance?

JBradley500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Right off hand I can't remember it's been so long but I do think your right because I live out so far I couldn't take advantage of the faster option. I believe I'm the last person before they stop offering dsl.

JBradley500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
I'm quite a way out. I asked the guy who installed the dsl, who happens to be my cousin, and he estimates 20,000'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.