my dream ACD...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btownguy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

would have USB, Firewire, & audio output ports on the back. Part of the lure of the ACD is the minimal cabling to your laptop. Apple is all about being clean and minimalistic. If I were to buy the 24" ACD, I would have the following wires running to my laptop:

Power (from ACD)
    Display (from ACD)
    USB (from ACD)
    Firewire (to Time Machine external HD)
    Audio out (optical with adapter to speaker system)

Just looks fugly having all of those. I know Apple doesn't make docking stations, but it would be nice to have a single (large is fine) proprietary cable that connects a MBP to an ACD and have all the connections on the back of the ACD. Think of it: A single cable from ACD to MBP. Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Ultimate in minimalism.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So... the FireWire isn't actually connected to anything, so the disk would just be sitting there...:D

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Okay..

How so?

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's no different from when I dismount the HD and unplug it and sit on the couch with my laptop...

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, it would never actually be connected to the computer unless you have a FireWire line to both the MacBook and HDD from the ACD.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

That is what he's wishing for, hence the title dream ACD:

7. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm saying there should be a single (large is fine) proprietary cable that Apple develops. This would go from the ACD to the MBP. Internally, it would transfer dislpay, Firewire, USB, and audio. Kind of like the way the docking station port on the bottom of most WINtel laptops can transfer display/usb/sound/etc from the laptop to a physical docking station.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They had one. It was called ADC. It flopped because they didn't license it. They won't be doing that again.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

It flopped because it wasn't compatible with standard DVI connectors without an overly expensive adapter.

10. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder why Apple doesn't provide some type of docking station and they abandoned the ADC. It seems that plugging in a minimum of 3 cables, up to a possible 5 cables into my laptop every time I want to change from desk to mobile is both a pain as well as aesthetically unpleasing. Not Apple's typical direction.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A new proprietary connector isn't going to be compatible with any standard, either. You can't just magically add or repurpose pins in, say, the current full-size DisplayPort spec and expect it to work.

Don't get me wrong, ADC was WONDERFUL. DVI, USB, FireWire, and power all on the same plug... but if only Apple adopts it, there's no way it can succeed.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

True, but it wouldn't necessarily have to use the DisplayPort if Apple would put another connector on there.

13. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, but I'm doubting many non-Apple users are buying Apple Cinema Displays. I could be wrong. I imagine the VAST majority are MacBook and MacBook Pro owners.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you're saying one in addition to whatever connector is standard at the time?

Interesting.

I have a G4 here... ADC and VGA outputs on a single card. I want to say that yours is a good idea, but it isn't feasible on the laptops, and with the surge of laptop sales, I just can't really see it.

Given that no one else can use the 24" with anything. :D I'm sure the 30"s still sell.

15. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, that's the main sticking point with using Apple notebooks in a business setting. Sitting down and clicking the laptop into the dock is so convenient. For that matter, just connecting one cable would be more convient than connecting four (ethernet, display, usb, and power). If you have firewire, there's five.