Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
Hi All,

I just got to brag about my sweet setup I have at my place! A good four years ago, I had a G4 1.2Ghz iBook which was my reintroduction back to mac after a boring stint on a Windows platform. Eventually, I got into the iTunes kick and discovered the Airport Extreme. It went "OK" for a bit but it would never stream the music correctly through my linksys router. I constantly had to restart the router :mad: ! Well, I knew what I wanted and waited and waited.

Now, my purchases:

The biggest and most expensive was the purchase of my condo. It is sweet...but I won't bore you with the details! Next purchase was the newly released Airport Extreme with 802.11N which I purchased. This thing is sweet!! I had to restart my linksys router 2 times a day average. This thing was expensive compared to competitors, but it is ROCK SOLID! No more restarts!! I then connected the AP Express to my network which was connected to fairly nice computer speakers via 3.5mm jack. Talk about simple!! I had this all setup on my iBook and man, I couldn't have been happier. It streamed very well with my speaker and didn't skip if it was in descent proximity. But, I wanted to do this right and get this hooked up to a stereo system. My house is wired everywhere and I wanted to get the music flowing through the house and not my computer speakers. I found an open item stereo with dual zone outputs at APT electronics about a month and a half ago. Got that hooked up but unfortunately, my iBook was running into hardware issues and things were on hold for a bit. Since this was just over a month ago, all the SR MBP rumors were in full force. I decided to wait until that came out before I continued.

Finally, the MBP came out and I picked it up the next day!! OH YEAH...I'm in business. A 15" 2.4 C2D, 2G standard configuration with 256 Geforce GPU. So, I got the MBP, AP Express and Airport Extreme all hooked up. Unfortunately, I still got interruptions in the music stream. I notice the strength on my MBP in my living room was not that strong being my base station is a good 100 feet away. I picked up another AP express today and extended my network. Totally fixed the problem!! So, I am wired ... or should I say wired-less up with Apple products and it is smooth as butter! All that is left is plugging in my external USB HD to my base station and I am set.

My family and my roomate's family is coming in this weekend. They are going to be blown away how cool this all is!! I'll be mixing my music through front row and my remote and they are going to be like, what?? Maybe this will get them off Winbloz?? It was expensive, but worth it!! No CDs...Just digital fun!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
what? no pics?

sounds like a sweet setup. as borat would say "its niiicce"

jawzzy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
New York
In keeping with the Borat theme:

"Great Success!!!!"

I didn't know that Airport Expresses could act as repeaters. Good to know!

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I support the "We Want Pics" motion. Man, if your setup is the way i have it in my mind then...wow i'm jealous. Congrats, it must have taken a lot of hard work to get all that tech.

sanzaborn33

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Chicago
Man o man. A new condo, a bright, shiny-new SR MacBook Pro, what else could a person need?!?!? Oh wait, food, but that's not always necessary if you just have respect protein shakes. Ahhh...liquid diet. Congrats!!

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Man o man. A new condo, a bright, shiny-new SR MacBook Pro, what else could a person need?!?!? Oh wait, food, but that's not always necessary if you just have respect protein shakes. Ahhh...liquid diet. Congrats!!

umm I would need the 17"

hooch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
Ok, I'll try and get some pictures. I told my roommate that I should take pictures of my MBP while opening it like everyone else does. He was like, "Please, don't!" The thought of him living with a guy who takes pictures of the packaging of a computer was beyond geek.

I just don't have a hosting service. I could use of the photo hosting services out there, but I was thinking of getting a .mac account. Hmmm...

sanzaborn33

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Chicago
Ok, I'll try and get some pictures. I told my roommate that I should take pictures of my MBP while opening it like everyone else does. He was like, "Please, don't!" The thought of him living with a guy who takes pictures of the packaging of a computer was beyond geek.

I just don't have a hosting service. I could use of the photo hosting services out there, but I was thinking of getting a .mac account. Hmmm...

Do it! Do it!

hooch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
So, I hooked up my external HD via USB and MAN...THAT WAS EASY!! Once I got the wires all plugged up and pretty in the closet, I came back to my MBP and there was a message that a new device was added and it asked for my WAP password. After that, it was mounted and could see all my files in my finder.

Love it.

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007

Flickr is free as long as 100MB/month and only showing the last 100 or is that 200 images is ok for you.

Personally I'd rather set up my own ".mac" than pay for it, but that's just me =P

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Dont the airport expresses slow down the network? They are wireless-g devices on a wireless-N network. So, doesn't all the traffic slow to the G speed? Just asking because I was thinking of buying an airport express but I'm thinking of waiting until they are updated...

hooch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
Dont the airport expresses slow down the network? They are wireless-g devices on a wireless-N network. So, doesn't all the traffic slow to the G speed? Just asking because I was thinking of buying an airport express but I'm thinking of waiting until they are updated...

I am not sure if it slows a network down from a technical standpoint. I can tell you, my network feels just as fast with the express as it does without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.