My drive does not show up under startup disk menu?? I ONLY see Network Startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Steven T, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Steven T macrumors newbie

I upgraded my Hard Drive. The method I used for doing this was disk utility. I created an image of my old drive. Swapped the drives (physically), and ran the image from the old drive onto the new one (via usb drive enclosure).

All works well, however my boot times have gone from like 12 seconds to 2 minutes. Did I lose my boot files when I created that image? Because the only option I see in the Startup Disk System menu is Network setup. I know I should be able to see my boot drives as well.

Can anyone help? I have found plenty of similar issues on the internet but no working solutions :confused:

By the way. I use leopard.

2. Steven T thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cattleman1 macrumors newbie

Having the same issue

I am having the sam issue has anyone resolved this as of yet?

Thank you all for any assistant you can offer.

4. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

I'm not quite clear on the disk image you set up.

What I do to swap/upgrade a drive is the following (uses 3rd party software)

-Download SuperDuper. You can register it for better functionality, but the free version can get you through a drive swap.
    -Use Superduper to copy your internal drive to your external drive (note, this is destructive)
    -Boot from the external drive to check that it's good
    -If verified, then put the external drive into your machine

SuperDuper doesn't make a drive image, it makes a bootable drive. When I hear "drive image" I think ISO or DMG files.

Could it be that your physical drive has a DMG on it, and you are running out of the DMG? That WOULD be slow! I am not sure if the EFI is capable of booting a DMG, but maybe it is.