Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
I have a Dual Processor 2.5 Ghz G5 however in Virtual PC 7 when I select my system info from About Virtual PC it says that my clock speed is 2.147Ghz. This is information about my host machine not the Guest. Adobe Photoshop 7 also reports that My G5 runs at 2.147Ghz. I have posted in Apple's forum what I have saw and others report the same but seem to be as bewildered as I. Others have said that Even Adobe's CS Suite of Apps still report a Dual 2.5 machine as running at 2.147Ghz. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this effect in other applications other than VPC and Adobe apps. Possibly just a bug, but then again maybe the Apple System Profiler is lying and the Dual 2.5Ghz Machines are really running at only 2.147Ghz. I'm probably just overly paranoid though.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
We wuz robbed!

Just checked on my work machine in Pshop CS (8)...

You're right! I want my missing mhzs back!

:D

Seriously, I never knew until now... but it's still the fastest Mac on the block.

Curious.

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
Try putting a heavy load on the CPU (e.g. iTunes visualizer) and then testing it. I think the G5 alters it's clock speed depending on how much work needs to be done.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Blue Velvet said:
Processor Performance: Highest :cool:
Damn, I will check this, too, when I’m home, but this is somehow disturbing.

BTW, you have this as your work machine? Lucky you ;)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Blue Velvet said:
Yep.
With 2.5gb RAM + WD Raptor 72gb as boot disk :cool: :D
Great. :D I'm thinking about getting such a drive as a boot drive with Tiger (when it’s out). Does it improve performance/boot time (a lot)?

Edit: Isn't there a terminal command that outputs the processor speed? I think I remember reading about such a command, but can't remember the syntax.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
LimitedEdition said:
Try putting a heavy load on the CPU (e.g. iTunes visualizer) and then testing it. I think the G5 alters it's clock speed depending on how much work needs to be done.

Nope. No change... but Photoshop also sees only 2048mb RAM as well so that's not such an obviously reliable method.

Methinks the prob is with the Adobe apps.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Interesting that the reported number 2.147 GHz is an exact power of 2 (2^31). Maybe those diagnostic tools just can't report above that.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
What does it say when you run a (sysctl hw.cpufrequency) in the terminal? (leave out the () )

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Veldek said:
Great. :D I'm thinking about getting such a drive as a boot drive with Tiger (when it’s out). Does it improve performance/boot time (a lot)?

Boot time: I don't know, the machines are left on 24/7, only half-a-dozen or so restarts since September. Seems pretty good to me...

But as Pshop scratch disk: nice.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
sysctl hw.cpufrequency
hw.cpufrequency: 2500000000

I suppose that means 2.5Ghz so I am calm now. It is curious though, and I wonder if there are other applications that are unable to determine the Frequency of the 2.5Ghz CPU. It would be interesting to know if these applications are capable of using the extra Mhz though that sounds very odd and is unlikely, more of a reporting error if anything.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
dvdh said:
What does it say when you run a (sysctl hw.cpufrequency) in the terminal? (leave out the () )
Aaah, thanks. That’s the command I meant.

BV: Thanks for your info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.