My DVD-Drive won't close after opening!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hms84, Aug 5, 2008.

1. hms84 macrumors regular

Hay Mac Rumor...
    So one of the NIGHT MARES for living in Saudi is the DUST!!!
    It gets everywhere... I think it's inside my Superdrive ... HeHeHe :eek:
    the drive opens when I press the Eject button BUT won't close back unless I give it a push...!!
    I can hear a small sound coming out of it, then when I touch it... it closes!!
    I think it's the dust, RECENTLY I cleaned my Mac Pro all the inside... I got the ROM out and almost everything, I cleaned it... BUT I think there's a dust problem OR a major one in the DRIVE!!

Any help is appreciated

Cheers
    hms84

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

3. tobyg macrumors 6502a

That makes me think that I definitely wouldn't trust burning any media if there is that much dust in that machine. Who knows if it'd even be readable after the burn or if the burn would even finish. There is probably dust coating the laser if you got enough dust in there to jam up the gears that move the tray.

And if you do have that much dust, you may want to check monthly to make sure your fans are running and possibly install some software to monitor your fan speed and temperatures. Just a thought.

4. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

I do regular PM (Preventive Maintenance) , I managed to get the Service Manual. I think I can disassemble the whole thing :rolleyes:

BUT there's nothing about the drive, Only the replacement procedure is there.

I don't know about not using it, I have to!! I play games. But I don't do much burning Hard Drives are there.

I'm trying to do a guide for regular PM schedule for the Mac Pro.

and that filter looks great, I wonder what it the material used there. Is there a way to get Japanese stuff to be forwarded here or the US??

Thanx
    hms84