My e-mail and facebook keeps getting hacked.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AnimaLeo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Hi. So somehow my email and my facebook keep getting hacked despite me changing my password. How is this being done, and how can I prevent it? I'm considering setting up a new e-mail account etc as this one seems to be a lost cause if the person can hack it every time.

2. wpotere Guest

Not sure if this is the case, but if you have to enter a security question and answer to change your e-mail password, someone might be guessing your answer. Change that to some nonsense that only you would know and that isn't the answer to the actual question. After that, resetting your Facebook account is easy.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Also report to your email provider that your email has been hacked. I know when my gmail was hacked they took back over the account for me and I got to change everything in it (password, security questions etc).

The advice above about hard security questions is good and if you can remember your password well then do some nonsense like:

What is the name of your dog?

TreePLantBoogerDrivewayPizzaStickBurger059

:p

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Are you using a computer that other people have access to? Are you using a PC or Mac?

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This cracked me up... too funny.

I would also make sure your password is different for each account and make it a difficult password at that.

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Do you spend much time on unsecured wifi networks? These are the ones that you don't have to log in with a username/password or where you have to put in a WPA2 key. If you are on an unsecured wifi network it is quite easy for someone to obtain your access tokens. Take a look at http://codebutler.com/firesheep for a detailed description of how this can be achieved.

A simple fix for this is to use Facebook in secure (HTTPS) mode: https://www.facebook.com/blog.php?post=486790652130. Your mail provider may have something similar too.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd