My ear engages the touch pad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BHMS, Aug 4, 2008.

1. BHMS macrumors newbie

I imagine the answer to this problem is somewhere in the manuel, or in this forum, but I can't find it, or don't know what to look under. When I place a call on my iphone and put the phone to my ear...my ear will put the call on Mute, Hold, Speaker, or punch numbers on the keypad. I have even dialed other numbers while I am talking to my original call. I've tried going back to the home screen after I place a call, but that seems to be where I most often dial somebody else. This happens on probably 80% of the calls I make. It's absolutely maddening!! Can one of you kind souls enlighten me?

Thanks.

2. TonyMil macrumors member

That's a thinker. When you place the phone close to your head the screen is supposed to shut off.

Call your house phone (or a friend's phone) and answer so you have a connection. Lower your hand palm down towards the face of the phone. The screen should go blank just before your hand makes contact. If your hand is able to hit the screen without it going blank you have a defective sensor and need to get it fixed/replaced.

The easiest way I found to test this was to have the phone call connected and place the heel of my right hand at the home button (without pushing it of course) and pivoting my hand slowly in front of the screen. The screen should cut off about the time your middle finger lines up with the speaker a the top.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Do you have the 3G? If so, there are now extra proximity sensors now, so make sure if you have a case on it it's not interfereing with it. There have been a fair few people slapping 1st gen cases in their 3Gs and the figuring out that it's interfering with the sensors.

Also, try TonyMil's suggestion of making a test call and deliberately testing the sensors.

4. BHMS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to TonyMil and abiyng87!!!

I did the hand test and discovered the problem is in fact the case! I have the original iphone and the original case, but it was interfering just the same. I would never have figured this out. Saved me a trip to the Mac Store. Thanks again!