My Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" is having a problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by universitykid, Apr 18, 2012.

1. universitykid macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2012
    So I'm new to this forum as a poster but I have been visiting the site daily for about 2 years. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.7 GHz i7 4g RAM and as of an hour ago my computer has suddenly decided to act as though it had a virus. I know it's not a virus but let me explain.

I was attempting to watch a soccer game online and Safari starting getting slow and giving me the beach ball. Suddenly, everything froze and I had to force shut down my computer. When I tried to turn it back on the white screen with the apple logo and the loading dial seemed to be on the screen for around 7 minutes before the screen turned simply white. A minute later, the screen loaded completely. But for every move of the mouse or click of an icon or opening of an application or basically anything at all, the computer will freeze and give me the beach ball for as long as a couple minutes until I can do just a little bit more to get to my destination.

I seriously have no idea what could be wrong with it. Also, my laptop is pretty essential to me since I'm at college write now.
  2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    could be a RAM issue you can use this guide to test your RAM

3. universitykid thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2012
    At this point, my computer is stuck on the beach ball and it seems like it won't stop. I think I'll just have to take it to my nearest apple store. I'm actually posting this on my friend's laptop.
  4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2010
    Try starting in safe boot

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

Feb 28, 2011
    It sounds like it could also be a possible issue with your hard drive. I'd bring it into apple to see what they can do for you :)
  6. universitykid thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2012
    So after forcing a shut down again, I attempted to boot into safe mode. Unfortunately, I had to go to class while it was turning on (it was still taking extremely long). When I returned about 5 hours later, the computer was off. I turned it on and it started up with no issues. The speed it originally had is back. The catch is, whenever I attempt to use safari, the same slowdown occurs. Again, I have no idea why this is happening. I think I may take it to the apple store tomorrow to see if they can resolve the issue.
  7. user418 macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2010
    Thought maybe you needed to select your startup disc under system preferences but the Safari issue has me stumped. Did you try emptying the Safari cache and resetting the browser?

Is so, the Apple store is your best bet at this point. Hope it's still under warranty. Good luck.
  8. universitykid thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2012
    Took it to the apple store and they saw me right away. Ran a couple tests and they think it's hard drive failure. They'll give me a call in 3-5 days with my new hard drive covered under warranty installed. Good thing I have a back up of everything!