My Early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iAsylum, Jun 14, 2012.

1. iAsylum macrumors newbie

About 2 moths ago i bought an early 2011 15"MBP with 4gb of ram and 2.0 ghz i7. Got it for only $1,000 witch i found to be cheap enough. Bought a Kingston 16gb ram kit for $99.99 and im planing on getting a 256gb ssd as well. With the new RMBP im wondering if i should sell my current mac and buy the new one or go on and get the ssd and be happy. I want the mac to last, heading to college in september and want my mbp to last until graduation. Will my MBP be outdated or will i be fine?

Thanks in advance!

2. Laco macrumors 6502

Even when you bought the laptop it was already outdated because there was something better out there. Keep it until it does what you need it to, when it no longer does what you need and you have the money buy a better one.

3. theBostonian Suspended

I don't personally believe that's a huge difference between Sandybridge and Ivybridge other than the improved integrated graphics. I also have an early 2011 MBP albeit the 2.2GHz version.

The only reason I would upgrade would be for the Nvidia graphics and if the new MBP contained asymmetric fans. I personally am not interested in the Retina MBP because it strikes me as a gimmick more than anything else. Storage is important and with the normal MBP you can customise it with an optibay/SSD combo, or a hybrid drive, or anything else you could want.

I'd stick with what you have, $1,000 is a bargain. If you stuck a faster drive in there it'd be unbelievably fast.

4. iAsylum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. Ill pick up and SSD and enjoy until it feels sluggish.

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Don't get caught up in all the hype. All of a sudden, overnight it seems, the previous model is a piece of junk. Sure the latest and greatest is nice but that 2011 model you purchased with the proposed upgrades you mentioned will more than meet your needs for years to come.

Just my opinion.....